Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i picked up an 04 dvx 400 not running i noticed the fuel tank was empty and the carb was loose after adding the fuel and tightened the intake boot she fired right up i hopped on did a few wheelies was running great but the plastic was melting on the exhaust so i stopped and left it idling while throwing a quick ziptie on. as i went to get back on it idled up a bit and when i took of it started making kind of a weird sound it reminds me of hitting the rev limiter in a car mixed with like a popping sound and has no power with the seat off when idling the outerwears air box cover in being pulled by the air flowing through but when i hit the gas and the popping starts its getting pushed up like air is coming back through. Valves????

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I'd clean the carb.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so i just cleaned the carb and when removing found that the bowl was completely full of fuel. what would cause this? i havent put the carb back on yet because it is raining now

·
Registered
866 Posts
No power, hot, popping/backfiring under load (no power) = lean or partially clogged jets, OR MAYBE a vacuum leak around the carb boot - you mentioned it "idled up".... Try turning the petcock to PRI and see if it improves, if it does the petcock is not flowing enough fuel. Check the carb to head boot, make sure its clean and tight. and clean the carb. Just some advice (and I'm not trying to be an a$$), but read some here on carb basics, from your remark about the float bowl having fuel in it, I'm guessing you might need some pointers???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is that how its supposzed to be. i havnt been in a carb in years but on my old dirtbike i dont remember it being totally full like that but im waiting to reinstall and ill update how it goes

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Make sure you've got the vacuum line on the carb that runs to the petcock, if it's not there, make sure you plug the port on the carb. Sounds like you're running lean.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There's a vacuum line that runs from the carb to the back of the petcock that pulls vacuum from the carb to open the petcock diaphragm and allow fuel flow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts