Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI, for those of you whishing to powder coat your Z-400 frames. "Be aware" you need to remove the rubber bushings on the bottom side of the frame, where the steering stem lock nut goes.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
getting ready to powder coat it.

any other cautions?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I was wondering about that.

Would it be better to tap the hole or just plug the holes?

What would you plug the holes with?
How about just putting the bolts back in and taking them out before baking the frame?

let us know
thanks

·
Registered
503 Posts
Well you could leave all the bolts in there while they bake your frame. You could then use an exacto knife or razorblade to cut around the base of the bolts. The powder coating is pretty easy to cut off of the bolts afterwards. It still looks the best if you tap them out though. You could probably find a whole tap and die set for under 20 bucks.

·
Registered
363 Posts
What about sticking those foamy ear plugs in the holes? That should work on most of the bolt holes I think. Easy to remove when your done too.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
that might be a a good idea but the heat of the oven might melt them and get them stuck. you might want to put them in while you spary the powder and take them out before you bake it.
i got quoted for my frame $300 for transulent candy blue from cw
but for a solid color its i think 195 from him check over exriders and ask Chris Waters

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I thought i would bring this back up seeing as how I didnt take that bushing out and it was on fire in the oven :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
I get my frame back monday. Its has all the gussetts on it and is getting a gloss black with a clear coat powder coat on it. Cant wait. Should be really nice.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I know when bicycles get powdercoated that many manufacturers will plug bolt holes with cork.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Originally posted by Norcal_KFX400@Dec 20 2003, 07:21 AM
I know when bicycles get powdercoated that many manufacturers will plug bolt holes with cork.
I was just gonna say, on "American Chopper" I see them using CORK to plug the wholes whenever they get their stuff powerdercoated. :D

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Originally posted by popo35@Dec 8 2002, 09:32 PM
FYI, for those of you whishing to powder coat your Z-400 frames. "Be aware" you need to remove the rubber bushings on the bottom side of the frame, where the steering stem lock nut goes.
can u get a picture of this im not sure i know what ur talking about

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
It consists of a rubber dust seal, washer and, o-ring then the nut. In that order if i remember right. Then remember to take out the steering stem bushing in the frame otherwise it will catch on fire like mine did :)

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
When I got my frame P/C they installed a bunch of rubber or silicone plugs in all holes.There was no need to tap any of the holes. They did forget to put some in for the swingarm pivot bolt and I had to dremel the hole out for the bolt to fit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts