Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at my girl's quad now that we've the PRM skid on there, and it doesn't look like there's too much room down there for a much bigger sprocket. Any help would be great.
later

·
Registered
379 Posts
You should be able to run spacers.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It will probably work if you loosen the skid and then put the sproket on and tighten the skid back up (after) the sproket is in place. The chain and sproket will eat into the wear strip after a bit just keep making sure bolts are tight. May happen quick enough to even do on a stand and just run it through the gears a couple times. I think it would fit but In my opinion I would go with a 13 tooth front because the swingarm DEFINATELY needs lengthened. the smaller front sproket will let the axle go back to tighten the chain instead of forward to loosen it for the bigger rear sproket, maybe only a 1/4" either way but the difference from one to the other would be maybe as much as a half inch. Anyway I "rode mine" at a district 11 race this past weekend, I didnt try to compete at all as I am out of shape, havent raced in 6 years and have no steering damper yet which I think is a big insurance policy for the wrist in woods racing. My thoughts after this race are that this quad stock, definatly needs geared down. It may do better with a pipe and rejet but even then will probably benifit from gearing down some. The only reason I say "probably" with the pipe and stuff is that I wasnt riding at a racing pace and the track was fairly tight. When one is out of practice,out of shape and just plain riding like a ***** you will be in that no mans land between 1st and 2nd all day long. Once your riding at a pace that will keep up with descent racers you wind up in second or third and hardly ever in first, atleast on most tracks. Anyway I found that at the speed I was going that I was reving 1st pretty good but on hills, not steep just tight, that if I had to let of the gas at all for control reasons the engine stuggled to pull the gear. I thought it really felt like it had a powerband in the woods even more than it does on an mx track. Just so you have an Idea of the ability / experience of the person writing this I raced dist. 11 in 96 and nat xc in 91 and 92. Won High Point in 4st. A in 92 and finished 4th for the year. ussually in top 3 the year I raced dist.11. I wasnt great but didnt suck either, The Dist 11 i just was at is,was,and always will be, my least favorite type of xc track, I will have more opinions after this coming weekend as the track is kind of "typical" in my opinion. I was fighting the front end coming up all day also which really was strange compared to my old quad, I was having problems keeping were I wanted to be on the off-cambers because of this, not really a problem on hills as far as fliping but I was finding that the front end was light enough that in the tight stuff I was nudging the outside of the turn trees more than I liked. Anyway power wise smaller front or bigger rear will provide the same results but smaller front should help handling and bigger rear should hurt handling. my 4cents,lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts