Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently did a top end rebuild in my 92 and it ran flawlessly. I rode about 4 hours and it was still running amazing. Rode it the next day and it was good for another 3-4 hours and on the way back it started running funny. It didn’t want to open up, basically no power band and the bike was shaking and vibrating a lot instead of taking off. Creeped back to the truck and went home. Went through the carb, checked the reeds, changed the trans oil, tried fresh spark plugs, the air filter is new, and I checked the power valve and it seems to be hooked up correctly. Bike will idle but it doesn’t sound normal. Seems like it doesn’t want to rev up all the way. Kind of stumped here. Do I need to change the jets or run a different plug ? Is there something internal I need to look at ? Any advice would be cool

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Recently did a top end rebuild in my 92 and it ran flawlessly. I rode about 4 hours and it was still running amazing. Rode it the next day and it was good for another 3-4 hours and on the way back it started running funny. It didn’t want to open up, basically no power band and the bike was shaking and vibrating a lot instead of taking off. Creeped back to the truck and went home. Went through the carb, checked the reeds, changed the trans oil, tried fresh spark plugs, the air filter is new, and I checked the power valve and it seems to be hooked up correctly. Bike will idle but it doesn’t sound normal. Seems like it doesn’t want to rev up all the way. Kind of stumped here. Do I need to change the jets or run a different plug ? Is there something internal I need to look at ? Any advice would be cool
this is her

·
Registered
391 Posts
Wonder if it could be the flywheel... on some bikes the magnets inside come loose and will shift around. This would cause it to run weird (sometimes not at all) and could cause an imbalance of the crank to give more vibration.

I could be wrong, but at least you won't have to dig too deep to pull the flywheel and check for it to be bad.

·
Administrator
7,842 Posts
I would always try a spark plug first. Especially on a 2 stroke. They can cold foul, and it will run, but not run good, especially under a load.

·
Administrator
7,842 Posts
Oops, I guess it does say that up there. Whenever I'm troubleshooting, I always start with the basics. I check compression, or leakdown is actually better if you have a leakdown tester. I check to make sure it's getting fuel, and the right amount, which it sounds like you have covered. I also check the spark. I don't mean with the plug on the head. The spark should be able to jump a 3/8" gap give or take. If it can't, there may be an issue with a bad stator, coil, or CDI, which can all be tested, except the CDI.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts