Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just do not understand why my adjustment bolts on the back of my swingarm keep breaking off. I have put three in already and I guess vibration keeps breaking them off. My two farther back bolts of the 4 that keep the adj. tight keep loosening up within ten minutes of riding. I just put all new bolts and plates in the back to see if new bolts would hold it tight and it doesn't. I had to stop at least 20 + times yesterday to put my chain on. I would tighten it and with five mintues it would be loose again, no matter how tight I would get it. The adjustment absolutely sucks!!! I think I might have to start riding the honda again, I never had these kinds of problems with the 400ex. 1 bent axle, 1 cracked frame, new frame is flaking already, a chain that does not stay tight. Adjuster bolts keep breaking off and i have to tap them out. This adjustment is a terrible design it takes forever to adj. a chain on the trail. I thought I was riding a SUZUKI not a Polaris!!!!!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have adjusted my chain a few times, and I have never had a problem with the bolts...I dont torque mine down, I just snug them with a wrench...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Are you also adjusting the two nuts on the back of the swing arm. I had the same problem and realized I had not tightened them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's at suzuki now. I told them to keep until it's fixed. This has started since this first time I adj. the chain. I torqued them down and snugged up both adjuster bolts only to have them last for about two rides. The rear two screws of the four on the swingarm loosen up then at least 1 of the adjuster bolts break. I would tighten up the bolts and it would loosen quicker. I even ended up putting them on so tight that they would not budge even with a foot and it would loosen up in about ten minutes. Only the back would loosen the front two never came loose. I put all new hardware in the rear and it still did the same so now suzuki can deal with!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had the same problem and the dealer told me that the chain was to tight you need 2.5 inches on slack in the chain. Not all my new parts have came in yet and I also broke the easy out in the chain adjustment bolt that broke and had to change the top larger bolt and also the flat nut on the bottom.

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
It's unfortauntely true the bolts on the suzuki is weak, and often replaced.... IN regards to the problem you are having, its because you are not giving it enough slack inline or the chain is not tight enough. Chaacnes are, the chain is too tight.... What that does is cause the chain to jerk, and making everything come loose..... If you were to properly adjust the chain to spec, if SHOULD help prevent futhur problems of chain jumping the track..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I am pretty positive the chain is the right tightness since I started adjusting them with my first ride in 1980 but there is always a possibility that it may have been too tight. Suzuki said they will put shims in the swingarm to fix the problem. I don't know where yet but as soon as I see it I will let ya know.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
2.5 inches is too much slack according to the manual. I've always gone with what the manual says, right around 1.5 or so and never had any issues what so ever. Check your owners manual and see what it says, but I'm pretty sure 2.5 sounds high.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts