Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished the Z400 for Today, but tomorrow will bring new ideas and problems to fix. I have listed my pictures under "Show off your Quad." The Z400 is not a perfect Quad by any means, but it has potential. Today was actually the first day I got to ride my redesigned Z400, and the outcome was great in some ways, but not all.

It started out today at Rausch Creek . This is a Riding area in Central PA that is great to practice. Next week, I plan to be at Breezewood Proving Grounds, which is another great practice Track in South Central PA, sorry to get sidetracked, but without these tracks I would only be able to feel things out at the Races for the First time.

The quad is designed to be a GNCC racing quad, but I wanted to feel how the suspension would hold up on a MX track. The outcome was mixed. The Stadium Series shocks did great through the whoops section, but I didn't feel half as comfortable jumping my Z400 as my 400EX, but time will tell after I become more comfortable with the Stadium Series suspension, so after riding the MX with semi disappointing results. I took the Z into the Woods, which it was designed for in the first place. Well, I was totally amazed at how well it could soak up the rough terrian. I felt like I was floating over large rocks and tree stumps. I was in 4th gear on most straight sections with the throttle wide open, and it just tracked straight and smooth, and to give you an idea of how rough it was. I punctured New Front and Rear ITP Holeshot XC tires. I was pissed that I only had two hours on them and they are full of holes, but I needed to see what the Z could do at top speeds through the woods, and I was amazed. The only complaint I had was that I heard a couple of big hits on my PRM skid plate, but I won't know till tomorrow if it is the linkage hanging down low or just the chain and rotor section. I will probably have to custom design a Skid Plate for it because I could gain some ground clearance with my 400EX based rear Swingarm. The only other problem, is that I feel the rear shock could be a little better. I feel it bottom out a couple of times, but not severely, and hopefully tomorrow with some adjustment everything will be perfect. Again, today was to first time out with Works preset settings. Also, I do feel that in the future the Z linkage system will be replaced with a different style, but time will tell.

My next step is to replace the Gaskets with DRZ400E to increase the Compression to 12.2:1. Then I want to get a rev box and a new carb. Also, waiting on a tank manufacture to build an over-sized tank, so I can have Burgard Cycle build a new steering stem and use 400EX tie-rod ends, which are strong than the Z400 ends. I will keep every one posted.

Please feel free to post any comments or questions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
:D Thanks for the post. It's always great to hear from the guys that really put these machines "through the ringer". Keep us posted with results.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts