Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am completley rebuilding the z 400 i just got and I put the Wiesco high compression piston in. It is 13.5:1....... The little bit I got to ride it (now putting a better carb in it) after it warmed up sometimes when I turned the key off it kept running for a couple seconds.... I put 92 grade gas in it... I am assuming its detonating... I am going to put the carb in and re torque the bolts on the head and base. Then I will see if it keeps doing it. What do you think it will do ?

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
92 octane is not enough for 13.5:1. You need to use race fuel for that, at least 100.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Between the two Z's I have owned, one shut off when turning the key off instantly. The Z I currently own still fires a few times after turning the key off, and I don't think it is detonating, it just seems like there is a second or two of lag time which I know doesn't make sense. I wouldn't worry too much, this one I have has done it since it was brand new..

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
you need to have a(preferably) 12.75:1 or less for pump gas. anything higher you need a 50/50 mix of pump gas and race gas or pump gas and octane booster or just simply race gas

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts
Go to your local small airport and get some 100LL aviation gas. It is WAY cheaper then race gas.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Between the two Z's I have owned, one shut off when turning the key off instantly. The Z I currently own still fires a few times after turning the key off, and I don't think it is detonating, it just seems like there is a second or two of lag time which I know doesn't make sense. I wouldn't worry too much, this one I have has done it since it was brand new..
My Z does this sometimes too..

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts
Should be under 5 bucks....I don't know about your area but we have the highest gas prices in the nation.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
If you used a 3 layer your fine on pump, if it's a single, like said pump gas is not enough.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Should be under 5 bucks....I don't know about your area but we have the highest gas prices in the nation.
Bet my gas prices are right there with yours.. I live in one of the top 3 highest tax paying counties in all of the U.S. lol I'd way rather live somewhere else like your area of Cali

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Bet my gas prices are right there with yours.. I live in one of the top 3 highest tax paying counties in all of the U.S. lol I'd way rather live somewhere else like your area of Cali
I live on one of the other three top tax counties lol, but at least you've got westchester airport right there!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I live on one of the other three top tax counties lol, but at least you've got westchester airport right there!
ehh not really.. that's all the way over in white plains, it's a good 35 minute drive.. Westchester airport is like the size of a supermarket lol

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts
Wow thats it ??..... I'm assuming thats what you do with yours. Do you mix it ?
Nope, I don't need it. I just run 91 in all my toys.
I'm stock comp piston with a single layer base gasket, still in the 12's.

My buddy runs it in his Rhino that has a bit of work done to it.
I refer to it as the rescue Rhino.......when you have a VW sandrail you need one of those around.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
ehh not really.. that's all the way over in white plains, it's a good 35 minute drive.. Westchester airport is like the size of a supermarket lol
Perfect for getting aviation fuel. I may just go with that next time instead of CAMII

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
It's better than $8+ a gallon for Cam II

Nevermind, at our airport 10ll is $7.36 a gallon. Not worth the 45 minute drive for me.

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
last time I bough 100LL (about a month ago) it was $5.65 i think. Either way its way cheaper than race/premium mix and at 100 octane you end up the same as a 50/50 mix.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
It's better than $8+ a gallon for Cam II

Nevermind, at our airport 10ll is $7.36 a gallon. Not worth the 45 minute drive for me.
Where do they have CAMII? I know they usually have it at Sunoco stations but i've yet to see one in this area with race fuel...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts