Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 kfx 400 thats been driving me crazy lately.. ive owned the bike for a couple years and has never giving me any major problems.. now im stumped.. The quad starts up and runs fine for a couple minutes, (probably just enough time to get up to riding temperature) then it blows the main fuse thats under the seat and i lose all power, if i try to replace the fuse right away itll blow it instantly. When i wait for the bike to cool a little i can start it but when she warms up again it blows the fuse. Ive checked to the best of my knowledge for any shorts or breaks in any parts the harness but havent found anything out of the ordinary. Have any of u ever had any problems like this before? Btw thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
4,510 Posts
Make sure the battery cables are tight (common cause for strange problems), then look at the cooling fan circuit. Could be a bad fan, switch, or harness.

Reactions: stapes

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure the battery cables are tight (common cause for strange problems), then look at the cooling fan circuit. Could be a bad fan, switch, or harness.
Battery is tight, i checked all of the wiring from the fan and coolant temp sensors but nothing looks out of place. Btw my fans have never come on.. have had this bike for 2 years now nd its never given me a problem. I just dont ever let the bike idle for long

·
Super Moderator
4,510 Posts
The fan may not have come on because it doesn't work. Just sayin that because it would come on about the same time as the problem you describe. You can unplug the fan and run power straight from a battery to see if it will turn. You can also check continuity on the switch from terminal-to-ground when cold and once it heats up.

Other than that, if wires are too close to the exhaust or motor, they can heat up and change the resistance enough to create a short. Something with lots of amp draw may be grounding itself once it gets hot.

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
dis-connect the fan ...............any difference ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts