Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used DVX about a year ago. Having a few problems with it and also wondering about some performance part upgrades.

First of all, it's been burning a little oil since I got it, but it's only really visible until it gets runnin for a while, but friends tell me they can still smell it a little behind me on the trails. I've had it into a garage getting checked out it came back still the same. The rings seemed fine and the compression was good. We've concluded it might be valve guides. The thing is, I'm not even certain what big bore kit is in this thing. He had it listed on a website for sale as a 434 Namura 4play. It's got a yoshi full pipe on there, I don't really know exactly what kind of pipe either. Also has a K&N air filter and a Dyno CDI. Another problem I'm having is the bottom of the carb is leaking a few drops of gas here and there, we had that apart last summer and the screw had a chip missing out of it so I replaced all the screws in it, they were in rough shape, still leaking though. Also down by the water pump there's a very slow coolant leak right under where the cap bolts on, replaced gasket and still leaks.

So what I'm considering doing, is buying a new big bore kit so I know what I actually have, replacing the valve guides, and seeing if I can get my hands on a used yfz carb.

Any tips on what I should actually get for it? Which big bore kit is the one to buy nowadays? I recall Athena being very popular a few years back, not sure if that's still the one to get. The guy also told me it had hotcams in but a week after he bought the quad off of the original owner (so I'm the 3rd owner) it all blew up on him, and the guy at the garage wanted him to get stock cams put back in before he worked on it.

Long post, I know. Thanks for actually taking the time to read it all, any of you that do.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Post some pics of the leaks, that would help greatly. The namura kit will have a black coating on the piston skirts, and measure 93.9mm I think if you mic the piston. If your cams have adjustable sprockets, they're most likely hot cams, but could be another aftermarket brand as well. The carb may be something as simple as a seal, i'd have to look at a diagram, but a buddy's yamaha had the same problem and i was a small cone seal on the drain screw.

Your oil consumption sounds like it could be the valve seals, or if the rings are not installed properly it could happen as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Which big bore kit is a good one to go for nowadays? I want something that will be reliable, something that goes with stage 1 cams I guess, that are slightly better than stock to compliment the big bore kit and the pipe etc that are already on there. I don't have the yfz carb on there yet, still the stock carb. We replaced a gasket and all the screws when we hauled the carb apart last year, its leaking out of the screw on the very bottom, I believe it's the drain screw for the float. But like I said, I might just grab a yfz carb soon and throw it on anyways, so that will be two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
800 Posts
biggie has an edlebrock carb for sale that would be a nice upgrade, also everyone seams to like the cylinder works 434 bbk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In eastern Canada so that could be a bit of a shipping cost. :(
Depends though, I suppose.

Anyway, I'll grab some snaps of the coolant leak tomorrow so you can see where it's running.

·
Registered
800 Posts
there is a very small weep hole on the bottom of the water pump cover, it is very common for the pump shaft seals to go bad and leak coolant out of that weep hole

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Bit late on getting the pics up. Had bad weather out here yesterday. I believe the coolant leak is coming out right under the cap here where my finger is pointing. If you look closely you can see a little bit of green just under that in the corner.

So, when I get a carb and possibly a 434 bbk like you suggested, should I go for cams? I'm not really familiar with them to know which ones to go for, I don't want anything too hard on the motor. Today I also noticed when I started it, during it's initial crazy smoking it does at first, i held my hand just behind the exhaust and noticed a few very fine little spots of what looked like oil, what exactly would that mean for what I would need to replace when I tear her apart in the near future?

Attachments

·
Registered
800 Posts
that is the weep hole i was talking about, you need to replace the seals on the water pump impellar.
your oil problem is either bad rings, scored cylinder or bad valve seals

·
Registered
800 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay thanks a lot. I seen that thread but I wasn't 100% sure if that was the same issue I had or not, suspected it was.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New question! I currently have the stock rear sprocket, but a 13t on the front. Looking at going 14 front and 38 rear, but my chain currently has 96 links in it, and I'm also looking at getting a new chain, should I order one with the same amount of links or do I need a different amount? Any idea?

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Same amount should be just fine. If I remember, dropping one on the front is like 3 in the rear, so you should be just fine.

·
Registered
765 Posts
is there something wrong with the cylinder and piston? if its still good then why not keep it? the 4play kits have proven to be a good cylinder.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah after taking it out and looking at it ourselves I've decided to keep using the cylinder and piston that's currently in it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts