Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a z400 in decent shape, they guy drove it 4 hours to drop it off....he started it up no problem he left I started it up no problem few hours later I started it up several different times (while riding ) no problem got home turned the bike off to run inside to open my garage, came out and the push button does nothing, no clicking, cranking nothing.....I can jump the solenoid terminals with a screw driver and it fires no problem....is this a bad starter? Bad solenoid? Or bad connection somewhere?

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
What you’re describing sounds like a short in “the blob”, mainly the start switch itself. Probably corroded contacts inside the switch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What you’re describing sounds like a short in “the blob”, mainly the start switch itself. Probably corroded contacts inside the switch.
Thanks....buddy of mine said the same thing just hadn’t gotten around to opening it up

·
::3 Pump Chump!::
3,046 Posts
What about the clutch did you pull the clutch in to start it. I believe if it has the blob it has the clutch level switch to make sure it starts and doesn't roll off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
first I tried jumping the solenoid that worked but that’s annoying, so I bought a new solenoid.....still not cranking with the button, so I replaced the blob on the handlebars AND the wiring harness (due to unrelated circumstances) still nothing....lastly I replaced the starter
and still nothing.

so my question is clearly there’s a fuse in the solenoid....it’s good otherwise bike wouldn’t crank at all. Is there another fuse I should be looking for? what other troubleshooting do I need to do? I’m completely lost and all help would be greatly appreciated!

also I’ve tried starting it with the clutch pulled in still nothing....if you note, before the issue started as long as the bike was in neutral it would start without the clutch pulled in

·
Registered
303 Posts
first no other fuse to check but the one on the relay, did u try jumping it to other battery? check out that the kill switch is on on posiion, also check for loose ground wire,

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
Do you have 12 volts coming to the trigger wire for the solenoid when you push the start switch? (Yellow/black wire).

·
Registered
363 Posts
If it started in Netural with out the clutch wouldn't that mean the safety switch was by passed? I would be looking there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
did u try jumping it to other battery? check out that the kill switch is on on posiion, also check for loose ground wire,
yes the kill switch is is the on position....could u elaborate what am I jumping from another battery? As far as loose ground wire, I’m assuming that’s the wire that attaches to the top of the starter? And where should I check for it to be loose at?

Do you have 12 volts coming to the trigger wire for the solenoid when you push the start switch? (Yellow/black wire).
Will definitely check that.... I don’t have access to a voltage meter atm so I’ll have to try n find one

If it started in Netural with out the clutch wouldn't that mean the safety switch was by passed? I would be looking there.
Not sure, so after having the bike I’m noticing a bunch of “deletes”

so on my bars I’m missing watever should be there besides my on/off/start blob, clutch lever, and brake lever 😂😂

on top of the fact I’m new to quads and four strokes....idk wat I NEED and wat can stay gone, but like I said in the condition it’s in,the button did initially work 🤷🏾‍♂️

·
Registered
363 Posts
The clutch safety switch is bypassed on your machine, I would do a google search on how that is done and follow the instructions and back track yours to see if it came undone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Working on the neutral safety bypass tracing.....just been busy with work, but can someone tell me what this is? And it’s purpose? I only see it on aftermarket axels but I never knew what it was for

·
Registered
363 Posts
Axle nut thats how you tighten your axle up.

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
It also holds the sprocket hub in place.

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
If the sprocket won’t fit over the nut, then yes.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The sprocket should unbolt from the hub and go over that nut, But like said above if it wont then you'll have to remove it.

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
Yeah, some of the aftermarket axle nuts are bigger. I’m assuming they just didn’t take that into consideration when making the axle.

Reactions: JOE G
1 - 17 of 17 Posts