Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was trying to tighten my chain and then the carrier completely stripped out, the stud is fin but what it screws into its toast.

Is there an easy fix for this?

If not I have plans to replace the whole rear end(swing arm, linkage, axle, etc)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Tap Sets and Thread repair sets are not the same thing, Thread repair removes minimal meta and kinda reshapes, Tap/die removes metal. Use the correct tool. This depends on how damaged the threads are, May need to use a insert.

·
Registered
462 Posts
There is no fixing that, I think a good insert or you'll have to tap it and use a different size stud. Replacing carrier probably be easiest for you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's a system where you use the included drill bit to drill it to a larger size, tap it out with the included tap and thread a steel spring (effectively) into it. It's not perfect, but it would likely solve your issue since most the load is on the pinch bolts once torqued. I linked the thread size I believe you'd need below, M12x1.25 I checked the thread poking out of mine but at the moment I don't have time to tear it apart and check the carrier size but I don't recall it being left hand thread or anything.

I just finished up an LTR swinger due to cracking my stocker enough to worry me even after welding the cracks. It was in the ballpark of $550 all said and done, I powder coated it myself and bought Wes Turners kit that fit a treat. There is a lot of silly differences from the LTZ so if you can find an entire assembly I'd suggest it. Also I got the impression Wes doesn't have a ton of the kits left so if you can't machine sleeves and bushings yourself so I'd get on that first honestly. He's on FB in the LTZ groups. I'll toss a pic of my setup below the link as well.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a system where you use the included drill bit to drill it to a larger size, tap it out with the included tap and thread a steel spring (effectively) into it. It's not perfect, but it would likely solve your issue since most the load is on the pinch bolts once torqued. I linked the thread size I believe you'd need below, M12x1.25 I checked the thread poking out of mine but at the moment I don't have time to tear it apart and check the carrier size but I don't recall it being left hand thread or anything.

I just finished up an LTR swinger due to cracking my stocker enough to worry me even after welding the cracks. It was in the ballpark of $550 all said and done, I powder coated it myself and bought Wes Turners kit that fit a treat. There is a lot of silly differences from the LTZ so if you can find an entire assembly I'd suggest it. Also I got the impression Wes doesn't have a ton of the kits left so if you can't machine sleeves and bushings yourself so I'd get on that first honestly. He's on FB in the LTZ groups. I'll toss a pic of my setup below the link as well.

View attachment 50179

View attachment 50178
I'll definitely look into the helicoils for the time being. And how much does the kit cost from Wes?

With the LTR swing arm being longer have you noticed it being harder to get the front end up, that's my main concern with it. And any other info about the swap would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think it was $150 for the kit IIRC. Perfect fit first try so worth it in my opinion.

As far as the longer swingarm goes I'm not sure, cause I haven't had a chance to ride it, I'm hoping it does keep the front down a bit because once I put my FCR on it just wants to wheelie out of tight corners regardless of my body language. My buddy has a yfz450 and it stays flat out of corners unless you try to wheelie and I'm hoping for something along those lines. I really hate the ergonomics and how it behaves once it's in a wheelie though, Z is so much more comfortable to me.

It doesn't seem much harder to prop up on the grab bar in the garage. If the rain ever stops here in northern MN, I'll go ride around the town and report back.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Got it out and annoyed the neighbors for a few minutes during a break in the rain, definitely wheelies easy still, I'm running 13-38 gearing. Otherwise besides a bad road with a speed bump I can't comment much on how the rear suspension feels yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got it out and annoyed the neighbors for a few minutes during a break in the rain, definitely wheelies easy still, I'm running 13-38 gearing. Otherwise besides a bad road with a speed bump I can't comment much on how the rear suspension feels yet.
Maybe try upping your rear sprocket to a 39 or 40, considering you geared it for more torque/acceleration I'm not surprised your getting it to wheely easy

·
Administrator
3,957 Posts
Where can I get the rear carrier bearing housing new with new chain tensioner bolt. It's a single bolt chain tensioner?! Thanks in advance
Should be able to get it at RMATV or similar sites.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts