Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know what the minimum length is for the rear spring as I would like to increase my preload to try and stop the rear from bottoming out.
I asked my dealer about it and they have not received the spec sheets on the Z's yet, so even they did not know :(

DadsZ400

·
Registered
794 Posts
I don't know about the spring length but that shock is completely adjustable. So, increase the preload, maybe the compression and rebound and mess w/ it till you get it right.

Later

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you ad preload you raise the ride height,which raises the c/g so if you
go up to much you're gonna be unstable in hard corners.somewhere in
one of the tech sections, on a site I visited long,long ago I read of process
called measureing "static sag" seek info on this subject and you will be
enlightened :idea:................................. :wink:

Jeff

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I think I got it set now, I tightened the preload about 1/2 inch from stock turned both the compression and rebound all the way hard and I am not bottom out as of yet but feels like I am using most of the travel, the rear still comes up faster than I would like but I do not think I can do much about it. Now atleast I can jump without the rear snapping up and make me nose the landings and I can hit the whoops faster than before just not as fast as with the other quad.

DadsZ400

·
Registered
794 Posts
You could try taking off more rebound, i don't think it will ride good at all, i would turn the preload up higher and take off on the rebound

Later

·
Registered
8 Posts
With my suspenaion i do bigggg jumps and have a tendency to miss the back side and land on flat ground and was constantly bottoming out so i cranked my preload all the way up, compression all the way up and reboound 14 clicks up. Its kinda of a ruff ride over the whoops but the gain on awesome on the jumps. Oh and i only way 150lbs.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Will a regular shock spanner wrench work to adjust the spring, or is a special one needed for the z? Hate to use the hammer and screwdriver...

·
Registered
540 Posts
I wouldnt fool with the preload too much... try increasing the compression.. if its still bottoming http://www.quadshopatv.com call them.. he will hook you up with rear rebuild, which in turn you can lower the ride height with a zps setup and use a heavier main spring so you wont bottom out... marty and jeff are both great guys, you should call them before buying a expensive aftermarket rear shock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts