Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a z400 that I got brand new that is basically bone stock. It has ran fine ever since and it sat for about a year and could not get it to start. I'm not the best with engines so I had a mechanic buddy help me out and we checked/cleaned the carb, checked for spark all that stuff. We got it running but only after dumping oil in the cylinder and will only run for probably less than a minute on full choke so we concluded the rings are bad. So basically rather than fixing my stock engine I figured this would be a good time to do all the mods I've always talked about doing. So I'm looking for a little guidance on what to do. I would like to get a 434 bbk, full exhaust, outerwear lid, jet kit, 400ex boot, and whatever else I can afford. I'd like to keep my budget around 1500. What do you guys recommend I do?

·
Administrator
12,447 Posts
fcr 39 carb, Dyna CDI and the head work to support it..

BBK $400
Used full exhaust $350? New $500
400 ex boot $20
FCR used-$300 (can be cheaper but it jetting, throttle, cable, etc are needed figure $300)
Cam chain while apart, $60?
Drz vavle springs $100?
Dyna CDI $200
New clamp on air filter $50?

Of course cams, head porting, better valves, etc,etc,.........

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I can get a deal on a used hmf is there a big difference between hmf and yoshi on a z400? Also what bbl can you recommend? i see the athena ones have some good reviews but are much more expensive.

·
Administrator
12,447 Posts
HMF would be fine. I personally don't care for the new Yoshi exhaust.
BBK, I used a Cylinder Works kit on mine and one of the other cheaper kits on my kids quad. I don't recall now what it is but both have been fine for me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am having trouble finding the fcr carb. I may not know exactly what I'm looking for. If you have any recommendations on what exactly to get or an idea of where/how to find one it would be greatly appreciated. I think I've found pretty much everything else i need. Im considering the cp bbk i found for about $400. Thank you for replying. Much appreciated

·
Administrator
12,447 Posts
I am having trouble finding the fcr carb. I may not know exactly what I'm looking for. If you have any recommendations on what exactly to get or an idea of where/how to find one it would be greatly appreciated. I think I've found pretty much everything else i need. Im considering the cp bbk i found for about $400. Thank you for replying. Much appreciated
Look for fcr 39 from a yfz450 or a slant fcr 39. Lots of info on here if you look for it.
You are paying a lot of extra $$$ for that CP piston in that kit. Namura kit is good, just depends on what you want.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been able to require almost all of the parts you recommended. You said drz valve springs, does that mean i look for drz specifically , or are like kibblewhites that fit the ltz ok? Should a stock crank be ok with all the extra power? i did find a set of cams but not sure what exactly they are yet, but are hot cams of some sort but were $30 never installed. But when we took the bike apart my buddy who is doing all this work cause I'm not much of a mechanic said there was a small amount of play in my crank, not sure if its normal or if i need an aftermarket to handle the new parts.

·
Administrator
12,447 Posts
If you put a CDI that increases the rev limit (basically all aftermarket CDIs) it is recommended that you upgrade the valve springs. The DRZe springs and a double, heavy duty spring that do not cost a ton of money. The KW springs are great, just more expensive.
Don't know about the crank as far as play but the stock engine internals can handle the upgrades.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the engine pretty much put together now. My fcr carb should be in today. I've been looking at the stickies for the carb installs but most are old and have no pictures. Is a 2005 raptor 660 petcock what I need? And anything else I should know? Seems like a lot of rigging in these set ups

·
Administrator
12,447 Posts
It's not too bad.
If you are running a full exhaust, open airbox I would recommend jetting at 165 main, 45 pilot, 35 leak and a NVCQ needle 3rd clip down. There is also a lot of info on thumpertalk about the fcr and zip ty mods and timing the squirt and what not.
Yes, 2005 Raptor petcock would do it. Make sure to get OEM Yamaha. There are tons of them on ebay that are just Chinese crap with smaller pluming.
You can use the stock petcock too. Just run it on prime. On and Res are off. The downfall is that you have no reserve but it works fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts