Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lucky enough that my first two Z's had full exhaust when I bought them.
Todays the day to put the "like new" $50 Big Gun full exhaust system that I scored from Cheapracer on the kid's quad.

I've never had to remove a stock headpipe and before I go hacking it up I wanted to see if I could get some tips.

What has to be done to avoid cutting it? I really do like keeping all the stock stuff as I know the aftermarket chit don't mean much at time of sale.
Radiator and oil tank comes off or just radiator? If I cut the pipe where the best place to cut it? I would suspect right at the big bend.....

What jets should I use.....? Just kidding but I may be in the market for an adjustable needle. I have no idea if this things been jetted or not. I haven't even felt to see if the fuel screw plugs been removed. It has a K&N on it so maybe...

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
i cut the head pipe ,it really does not mater were its cut just do it were its easy to do

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah.........I'll probably just cut it. Sawzall's at work, forgot to bring it home. Might have to scour the neighborhood and scurb one up from a buddy.
Fuel screw is unmolested and still capped.

·
Registered
380 Posts
If you didn't want to damage it then you can remove radiator, fan etc, but it's probably a bit much hassle if you're not going to use it again..

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Theres been many threads on this Spize. you need to use the search button more. As an old timer id expect you to know this by now! hahahaha just giving you chit b/c i dont think you have ever asked for help that ive seen :p

i cut mine with a dremel so not sure what youd have to take off exactly. i didnt want to mess with all that. i cut mine just forward of the frame piece that goes up from the footpeg in the straight part. the big bend slid out with ease. show some pictures of your work when you get it done.....or ....you could make this one of the first "how to" write ups

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the "how to" was to cut through it on the left side right at the bend. It was the easiest and the clearest spot. Came right out. I remembered that the stock exhaust can was not mine anyway. I had borrowed it from my buddy because when I bought the quad the stock can was dented pretty bad. That made chopping it out a no-brainer.

So it's out and done. Have not touched the jets yet but it actually runs pretty darn good without changing anything. It has some popping so I will have to address it before riding season. I want to ditch the airbox lid, snorkel, etc. I won't tear into the carb till I find a needle for it though.

Here's the before pic that Cheapracer sent me. It was a little rusty..

An SOS pad made short work of that.........

$50 full exhaust and it sounds great (took the quiet core out).
Thanks Cheapracer!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Looks great Spize....you do some pretty good work

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Literally 5 minutes with an SOS pad..........then bolt it on.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I cut my old pipe to remove it.... And then STILL had to remove the radiator to get the new one in! (pro circuit) Go figure!

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I started it in on the left side rather then snaking it through from the clutch side......pretty much went right in.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I started it in on the left side rather then snaking it through from the clutch side......pretty much went right in.
Hmm I don't remember if I tried from the left side... Oh well at least I learned how to remove a radiator, and cleaned it on top of that ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
you guys cut your head pipes to get them out? I just removed and installed mine out the right side. tucked the back end of the pipe up near the carb and then put the flange that mounts to the head under the exhaust port. Took a little muscle to get it in but fairly simple to do. I'v done it a few times now

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I can get my HMF header out and in with out removing anything. it's probally the different bends.

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
The aftermarket pipes go in and out easily compared to the stock. Makes you wonder why they don't just put them on to begin with.

·
:::Formerly Cheapracer:::
757 Posts
Well the "how to" was to cut through it on the left side right at the bend. It was the easiest and the clearest spot. Came right out. I remembered that the stock exhaust can was not mine anyway. I had borrowed it from my buddy because when I bought the quad the stock can was dented pretty bad. That made chopping it out a no-brainer.

So it's out and done. Have not touched the jets yet but it actually runs pretty darn good without changing anything. It has some popping so I will have to address it before riding season. I want to ditch the airbox lid, snorkel, etc. I won't tear into the carb till I find a needle for it though.

Here's the before pic that Cheapracer sent me. It was a little rusty..

An SOS pad made short work of that.........

$50 full exhaust and it sounds great (took the quiet core out).
Thanks Cheapracer!
Glad I found it a good home:D Didn't seem right just letting it sit on the shelf. PM me when your ready to hit Cal-City to get that pipe dirty again:D

·
Registered
498 Posts
I took my stock pipe off without cutt ing it. Then sold it for $100
All I had to remove was the thermostat housing

·
Registered
463 Posts
I tried fighting mine for way too long without removing anything. I eventually got so mad I cut mine. My new power bomb flips right in no problem!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got out mine w/o cutting on and 04 z400 I think I removed screws for the fan and/or rad. still wouldnt come out. then I pulled a little and bent the fan cage. It came out and the fan still spun w/o hitting the cage. Good enough for me! new DG went right in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts