Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I've got plenty of time to work on the quad (now that I can't ride it anymore) I was cleaning it up a bit.. spraying up some rusty parts and what not. So i've decided that I want to remove those stupid, ugly warning tags on the plastics. Is it possible to drill out the rivets to remove the tags, then re-rivet the plastics just to fill the holes?
What size drill bit would I use to do this?

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
Yes, you just need to use a bit big enough to tak the head off the rivet. I'm sure something like a 1/4" bit probably even a little smaller would work. You don't have to drill all the way through the rivet, just through the head of it and push the rest through the plastics.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do they sell 1/4" rivets to plug up those holes with? I don't know all that much about riveting, only that they are used to pretty much permanently hold things in place lol

·
Registered
209 Posts
You could also get a pair of dikes and cut one of the heads off of the rivet and push the rest out. That's how I get rivets out.

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
Drilling them out is the best way to do it. The holes are probably not 1/4" so once you get them out just get some to fit what the holes are.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I drilled mine out, just be careful that the rivet doesn't start spinning like mine did because it melted the rivet out of the plastic and left me with an ugly hole.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright guys, I drilled them.. There were some rivets I was able to get out without a problem, some the drill went all the way through and gave me a 1/4" hole through the plastic, and others where like chinoduca said, the rivet started spinning and burned right through the plastic.. So I evened out all the holes making them 1/4".. i'm just going to try to buy some 1/4" rivets or something to plug the holes, then i'll just put a bunch of stickers in that area...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Alright guys, I drilled them.. There were some rivets I was able to get out without a problem, some the drill went all the way through and gave me a 1/4" hole through the plastic, and others where like chinoduca said, the rivet started spinning and burned right through the plastic.. So I evened out all the holes making them 1/4".. i'm just going to try to buy some 1/4" rivets or something to plug the holes, then i'll just put a bunch of stickers in that area...
You would have to buy a rivet gun if you don't have one... You can go to Ace Hardware and look through all of their little drawers of fasteners...Same thing at a good auto parts store, a Carquest or Napa, they have all sorts of body and trim fasteners that may work...

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You would have to buy a rivet gun if you don't have one... You can go to Ace Hardware and look through all of their little drawers of fasteners...Same thing at a good auto parts store, a Carquest or Napa, they have all sorts of body and trim fasteners that may work...
My dad's got a rivet gun.. i'll get some rivets next time I go to home depot or something..

·
Registered
962 Posts
I am going to put my license plate right where the biggest one is. Only the plate isnt the same size. So should I drill out my platics same size as the plates holes and put a bolt with a nut and a washer on each side through every hole ???

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Lol, I got diamond plate where those are! Looks awesome

·
Registered
433 Posts
i say cover them with funny fake warning stickers, can't go wrong with stripper stickers.

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
i say cover them with funny fake warning stickers, can't go wrong with stripper stickers.
Agree. They also make some nice Z400 ones that you can get on ebay.

·
Registered
423 Posts
heres a pic of the ones I made. I also have one on the back fender.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts