Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the Z400, just picked up a 2004. My problem is when I down shift looking for first gear it will go all the way down into reverse without turning the knob. I checked the cable and it is not adjusted too tight. I removed the cable completely at the shaft going into the engine and pushed the shaft all the way in by hand and it still drops into reverse. All the way in should lock it out right? I have a Clymer manual but it doesn't offer much help for this issue. Anyone have experience with this issue? Thanks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have never heard of a that kind of problem dude, that sucks. Hopefuly its something simple.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've done extensive searches online and couldn't find anyone with the same problem. I can fix it myself even if I have to split the cases but I'd like a clue as to whether or not that's necessary. I'm surprised at how little info the Clymer manual has on the reverse mechanism.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I had it happen but it was a little bit different then what is happening with yours. Mine would go into reverse and 1st gear only. The problem was my cable was pinched at the end where it attaches to the engine. If the slider is pulled out on the engine it should only go into first gear and reverse. With the slider pushed in all the way it should not be able to go into reverse. Did the previous owner rebuild it or is this a new problem?

Explanation of how the Z locks out reverse:

2003 Suzuki LTZ400K3 Parts, 2003 Suzuki LTZ400K3 OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

Part #9 in this diagram is the shaft and shift fork that control the reverse gear. On the end of the shaft (#9) is a flat piece that has a nub on it that follows a groove on the shift drum (part #6). That groove and nub work together to guide the reverse gear shift fork and lock out the reverse gear also. The groove for the reverse gear on the shift drum is the very top groove right where that pin (part #7) is.
When you pull the reverse cable in first gear it pulls the shaft (part #9) closer to the shifter. The nub on the shaft drops further onto the shift drum which the pattern on it then allows the shift drum to rotate a little further engaging reverse. If that nub (follower is the correct term I believe) is broke or the shift drum is damaged allowing the shift drum to rotate to far into the reverse position without locking out the other gears when in reverse or reverse when in the forward drive gears. My guess is the follower broke or the shift drum is chipped. I'm sure my explanation is a little confusing but it will make sense once you see it.
On page 176 of your manual look at images 44 and 48 it will show you the parts I am talking about in detail. The top groove on the shift drum in 44 is where the follower in image 48 rides.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are the man 711, It takes time to post a reply like that and I really appreciate it. I studied the exploded diagram and the pictures in my manual and I think your conclusion that the nub may be damaged is very likely. Another interesting fact is that there is no return force on the shaft when I pull it out. The spring shown on the diagram should be pulling the shaft back into the engine with the cable released if I understand correctly. I'm going to take another shot at fooling with the reverse shaft now that I have a better understanding of what is going on. I'll post up the results.

BTW, I got the quad from the original owner and he said the engine has never been opened up. When I asked about why it was able to shift into reverse he said it was that way after he got it back from "some guy" he paid to change the oil. May be a BS story but I've been wrenching on bikes since I was 10 so I figured at worst it would take me a little money and some time to fix no matter what the cause. Besides I often think I enjoy working on them maybe even a little more than riding them. This is my first experience with a quad with reverse. The last one I had was WAAYYYY back in the '80s with a Suzi Quadracer 250. Most of my experience is with 2 stroke dirt bikes and in-line 4 sport bikes, CBR, GSXR, etc. This will be a good way to acquire some new knowledge.

One final thought, it has Pro Curcuit pipe on it with stock jetting. It seems to lean out on top. Is there a preferred jet kit for the Z400? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
No problem man thats what makes this board so great. I had about the same experience mechanically as you. Trust me it's the same as any motorcycle tranny just one extra shift fork, gear, and shaft.

Yes that shaft should pull back into the motor on it's own when you shift it out of reverse and into first, it'll slide back in. When I split my cases a few months ago I did forget to put that spring back in lol. I was lucky that I had just put the cases together and saw that spring sitting in my parts box. It was the only part left over and I couldn't figure out where it went. But I figured it out eventually. Good thing I found it before I had gone any further and tightened the cases up.

I would recommend a 155 main and 25 pilot jet should get you in the ballpark without the lid on the airbox. You don't need a jet kit to get it to run good.

Did you find anything yet?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info on the jets. I haven't had a chance to mess with the Z yet. I manufacture and sell fender eliminator kits for sport bikes and I spend the weekends replenishing my stock for the next week so I probably won't get a chance to look at it till next week. I'm going to see if the shaft will push in any further by hand in the higher gears.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Welcome Weelee929... Anything you could possibly want to find is here... Years of info. Many helpful ppl. And plenty of go fast goodies sold on here to. Btw Let us know how you make out with the reverse lock out problem.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Yeah it should push in when its in 1st only. In the higher gears it should not be able to pull out. If you're able to pull it out in higher gears it's most likely in the area we already talked about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the Z400, just picked up a 2004. My problem is when I down shift looking for first gear it will go all the way down into reverse without turning the knob. I checked the cable and it is not adjusted too tight. I removed the cable completely at the shaft going into the engine and pushed the shaft all the way in by hand and it still drops into reverse. All the way in should lock it out right? I have a Clymer manual but it doesn't offer much help for this issue. Anyone have experience with this issue? Thanks.
i have the exact same problem did you figure anything out?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts