Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i dont remember ever having this problem before. i remember hitting the limiter and it being a little annoying, but the past 2 rides ive had, unless im on perfectly flat ground, my reverse is useless. even going up a slight incline, it kicks in and i basically have no power. if im in a small amount of mud, and i try to back out, yeah right. i might get some mud flipped on me, but if i rock and one of the wheels catches grip, it just bogs instantly.

is there anything that could be wrong with it? id rather fix it before i just override the rev limiter, unless you guys think that is a good option. i do like getting myself stuck often trying to keep up with the 4x4 machines.

Thanks!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,510 Posts
Just bypass it. It’s useless anyway.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just bypass it. It’s useless anyway.
That's what I was thinking originally. But after a quick search online, people considering deleting it had a lot of other folks saying that it was dangerous. I have people that borrow my bike occasionally so I I was thinking that maybe I should avoid doing it.. That said, it's probably the route I should go. Another question though, am I just covering up an issue? I don't understand why it's suddenly limiting me so much lower.

·
Super Moderator
4,510 Posts
Probably a CDI issue, not worth replacing one for only that reason. Most of us hate the reverse limiter.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
another question... my valves are about shot, and i was thinking about doing the drz valves/springs, and going with a thinner base gasket to up the compression.. is a cdi(which would eliminate the reverse limiter) something i am going to need/want for that anyway?

i will be keeping the stock exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
3,399 Posts
The cdi will raise the rpms, up to you if it is worth it to spin the motor faster. I wouldn't bother with it if I were you, especially with a stock exhaust..

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, thanks. should i even bother with the drz springs and the base gasket/compression increase when i redo my valves? i like speed, but im not racing. just seemed like an oem style upgrade that made sense.

id love an exhaust, but i just cant handle a louder machine. we do too much riding on private land(with permission)... dont want to annoy the people generous enough to not put up fences.

is the rev limiter bypass in the above link the best option for me?

·
Super Moderator
3,399 Posts
Valve springs do get tired. If you do the drz springs, you are covered if you do decide to change cams or ignition box..
The only downside to doing the thin base gasket is pulling the barrel, but with the head off, most of the work is done anyway. That and the fact that you will have to run high test gas with the higher compression.
When I put my hotcams in, I lost some low end grunt. By changing to the thin gasket, I got it back. It was very noticeable. I never tried it with the stock cams, but it should still be a noticeable improvement..

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Valve springs do get tired. If you do the drz springs, you are covered if you do decide to change cams or ignition box..
The only downside to doing the thin base gasket is pulling the barrel, but with the head off, most of the work is done anyway. That and the fact that you will have to run high test gas with the higher compression.
When I put my hotcams in, I lost some low end grunt. By changing to the thin gasket, I got it back. It was very noticeable. I never tried it with the stock cams, but it should still be a noticeable improvement..
thanks for the response. For me, the absolute most important thing is low end. we do a lot of low speed windy rocky trails. pretty rarely do i get out of 3rd gear for most of it. not thrilled about the high test, but it is available just about everywhere i ride, and its already what i use in my other quad anyways.

·
Super Moderator
3,399 Posts
thanks for the response. For me, the absolute most important thing is low end. we do a lot of low speed windy rocky trails. pretty rarely do i get out of 3rd gear for most of it. not thrilled about the high test, but it is available just about everywhere i ride, and its already what i use in my other quad anyways.
Gearing it down will be your biggest benefit, but you probably have done that. I often wish I had a heavier flywheel when I get in the dirty stuff, picking my way through big rocks..

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so, i got around to doing the rev limiter bypass. jumped 2 wires together and removed 2 wires. went smoothly, but i still have a rev limiter?! there was really nothing to mess up. so idk what is going on??!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
does anyone have any ideas here? it seems odd that i could do the rewiring, and it still doesnt work. i would have thought that if i messed up the rewiring(idk how i could, its pretty simple), that the machine wouldnt run at all.

im considering buying a dyna cdi, but im not loving the idea of spending $150 and nothing changing.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Have you tried replacing your gear position sensor by your shifter? That may possibly have gone bad. I would look for a Dyna on eBay, I picked up a programmable one for like 85 bucks.

·
Super Moderator
4,510 Posts
Assuming the bypass was done to the correct wires, the cdi shouldn’t matter since it is bypassed. The only thing I can think of would be the harness. If one of those wires are broken or grounding out, it might cause that and explain why your bypass didn’t work. Hopefully someone more versed on it than me will chime in.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you tried replacing your gear position sensor by your shifter? That may possibly have gone bad. I would look for a Dyna on eBay, I picked up a programmable one for like 85 bucks.
thoughts behind the logic on it being the gear position sensor? i have zero understanding on how it works, but i would think that the thing is definitely able to tell which gear it is in, since it only limits the rpms in R.

Assuming the bypass was done to the correct wires, the cdi shouldn’t matter since it is bypassed. The only thing I can think of would be the harness. If one of those wires are broken or grounding out, it might cause that and explain why your bypass didn’t work. Hopefully someone more versed on it than me will chime in.
thanks. looks like its time to pull the plastics and inspect the wires. there were some scuffed wires right by the cdi. guessing a stick hit them or something.

·
Super Moderator
3,399 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't see any pics..
its a link to an imgur album. i can see them in incognito mode, logged out of everything, so they are definitely there. i was planning on drawing on them showing which wires to pull and which to jump and posting it to the main rev limiter elimination thread, but since it didnt work, i dont know if it is the best idea.

·
Super Moderator
3,399 Posts
Yes, i got the link, just don't see a picture.If i click the next post icon, i get the next picture though..I'm using firefox, maybe I will try explorer.. If i click the next post icon, i get the next picture though. Gotcha on passing on dubious info though..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts