Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best brand for a beadlock race rim ? Douglas or ITP
Is there a performance difference between sizes in rear rims ? I.E. 8" compared to 9" or 10"
I will be using Holeshot XCR 20" rears and XC 22" fronts . Please help with any info at all . I have asked alot of people the overall difference between smaller rims and larger but i have not herd of an explanation yet ! What will be the best rim to go with the tires that i listed above ? I race on weekends and trail ride on week days. thanx for any info .

·
Registered
81 Posts
from what I have heard the hiper carbon fiber rims are the way to go for durability, they come with a 1 year warrenty, and cost around the same as cheaper made aluminum beadlocks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont know whar size rear rims to get ? i want the best overall performance but i dont know if going to an 8" is more beneficial or maybe going up to a 10" ? i know that i am going to run a XCR 20x11 .

·
Registered
81 Posts
what kind of racing do you do??

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mx racing on weekends but mostly trail and pit riding on week days .

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Im going to get the hypers, if you break a beadlock on them you can replace them instead of having to buy the whole wheel and there suppost to be tough as hell.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You all have missed his question! I will try to straighten it out ! :roll:

He is asking if there is any preferance in rear rim diameter, what would be the best diameter ? 8 inch, 9 inch or 10 inch? He has already stated what kind of riding he does and wants to know if one diameter is better than the other with the type of tires he is going to be installing.

Geesh! Don't any of you understand English? Are Schools that bad? And you guys are going to be the future? At this rate I better take better care of myself so I can be around to translate English into English for you! LOL!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so does anyone have an answer or any advice on rim size ? :(

·
Registered
583 Posts
Rims

Basically I'd say rim size is a personal preference. I like 9'' because there seems to be a lot more new & used tires available in this size. That way if anything happens to the new ones purchased, you'll have more opportunity to get a hold of something to keep you moving.
10" rims do look cool with more surface area visible.
ITP & Douglas are both excellent rims

·
Registered
773 Posts
heres what i think about it, stop me if it doesnt sound right.

an 8" wheel, smaller wheel smaller tire, easy to turn (less weight faster spinning with less energy) great for mx racing etc.

10" wheel. most people dont run anything bigger than a 20 or 22" rear tire. a 10" wheel makes the sidewall stiffer because it is also shorter. this makes handeling better, less flex in the tire (same idea behind low profile auto tires).

9" wheel is supposed to be a good mix of both. didnt there used to be mainly 8"ers and 10"ers?

does that make any sense?

thats the reason why the cannondales have different size wheels and tires. the moto (MX racing) has 8" wheels with 18" tires and the blaze (XC) has 9"wheels and 20" tires.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have been doing alot if research and i think that i am going to get 9's for the rear . are beadlocks much heavier than stock if i go with a douglas .190 with an OMF beadlock and inner rim setup ? thanx again for all the help .

·
Registered
278 Posts
its all about sidewall height.

8" wheel with 20" tire
9" wheel with 20" tire

the overall diameter of the tire stays 20" but in the 9" wheel, the wheel takes up 1 extra inch of overall sidewall. this results in less sidewall flex, producing a stiffer side flexing tire. another sideeffect would be less "sproing" type tire suspension. sidewall flex robs power and sacrifices a little rear end control...unless you are used to it.

look at an MX wheel/tire combo:

8" wheel with 18" tire

even less tire sidewall there, need to get that power to the ground FAST in MX, rear end slop is also a factor on tight MX courses.

personally i run 8" rims with 20" tires. i like the extra "sproing" and am used to the way the tire reacts under throttle and when swooshing from side to side. also...good luck finding a sand tire in 9" rim :D

hope this helped.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts