Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the top end! This thing revs out nice now.
Not much loss on the bottom with the intake cam only. At about 4000 it pulls harder and by about 6000 there's a big difference.
I was tapping the throttle and lifting the front in third easily.

Also met some guy with a tricked out Z. About $15,000 into it he said. Over 53 rwhp with a kehin 41 mm carb, 440 kit, Elka longs travel susp and loads more. When I met him he was picking himself up off the ground from flying over the bars. A few minor scratches on him and the bike was fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
intake cam

who did you get the cam from and why did you only go with intake and not exhaust? what else do you have done to yours? i'm kind of curious if it would help me much.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got my intake cam from Atvaddiction. It's an easy install with the Z400 manual.
I have heard two things about the exhaust cam. You lose bottom end and you lose the decompression mechanism for starting. The later has been proven not to matter on the quad. It starts just fine.
There is someone on here, I think WP, that advanced his intake cam a couple degrees and got the bottom end back. Now that I know that, I'll probably order the exhaust cam.
The stock intake cam is a bit bigger than the exhaust. Some say you can just move it over for a little bit of power. It's not clearly marked so I don't want to mess with degreeing it in and wrecking something.

Please read my sig for my mods.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Barely Legal, were did u get your titax rear rotor? How much was it? Is it stronger than stocks? Can you give me a web site? I need one because my rear is bent and another stock one is $127.99.

Thanks

·
Registered
837 Posts
Not trying to answer for barely legal but you can get the Titax rotor at rockymountainatv.com for around $50 that is were I and several others have ordered ours from.

DadsZ400

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right. I followed DadsZ400 over to Rockymountainatv and got mine there. It's thicker, stronger, looks better and won't warp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
intake cam

Hey Barely Legal, what octane do you run with the new cam? hotcams says to run at least 95 to prevent detonation and make more performance. would 93 be good enough? also, did you change your jetting at all? how about shimming the buckets? atv addiction says that there is 2 stages, but i have only heard of one so far. let me know about how long it took you, too. i have access to a service manual and am an auto mechanic, but not much mechanical on quads, YET. thanks.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't change anything else, I just popped the cam in. Well, I did change the oil. The lash is fine, but I might check it again. The jetting seems great. I still run a 152.5 and it SCREAMS. Plug looks great. No popping or hesitation. Runs like it did when I bought it 'cept faster.
I only run 91 octane and it does not ping at all. The cam actually decreases comp a tad with the overlap.
If you cam work on cars, you can easily work on this thing. Changing the cam is about as hard as falling out of a chair. Get a Z400 manual so you can peruse the motor and it's simple.

·
Registered
67 Posts
They are out of stock :( Does anyone know about when they will get them in, or any other place i can get them?

·
Registered
127 Posts
barely..
Would you say this would be a good upgrade for a trail rider who needs all the bottom end you can get??

What are your thoughts on adding the cam for the top-end and going down a tooth to compensate for the low-end power??

From start to finish.. How long did the install take?

How much do you have to dis-assemble?

Thanks.. really for the info.. THis has been one of the better posts in a while.. Your a pioneer to the intake world with the Z.. just kidding.. but really thanks for the feedback...

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It just does not hurt the bottom end much at all. Maybe what, like half a foot lb of torque. i bet with the base gasket is would come back up a bit, where it was.
A 13T front sprocket makes mine LIVELY. Zero complaints. And I am almost nothing but a trail rider. Top end is just great. It pulls quite a bit harder. Stage one might not lose as much as stage II, which is adding the exhaust cam. (someone asked earlier)
It took me an hour and a half or so, first time out.
Just pull off the front plastic and seat.
Take off the tank
Pull the plug and hoses off the valve cover
Pull the valve cover (6mm allen)
Pull the inspection and crank-turing plugs to get TDC(8mm and 10mm allens)
Remove the cam chain tensioner and guard
Remove the cam
reverse the procedure while checking lash.

Have fun!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts