Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guysd,
I have an 05 Z with a homemade shorty and no lid..I just picked it up and was dialing in the jetting..I didn't take the time to read the manual and didn't know what PRI meant, so I dialed the jetting in with it on "PRI"..It runs like a beast, crisp,clean and powerful. If you switch the petcock to "on" it won't run past 1/4 throttle, just falls on its face..Is it ok to run it on the "PRI" setting?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,062 Posts
Originally posted by TRUTH@May 15 2006, 03:24 PM
Hey guysd,
I have an 05 Z with a homemade shorty and no lid..I just picked it up and was dialing in the jetting..I didn't take the time to read the manual and didn't know what PRI meant, so I dialed the jetting in with it on "PRI"..It runs like a beast, crisp,clean and powerful. If you switch the petcock to "on" it won't run past 1/4 throttle, just falls on its face..Is it ok to run it on the "PRI" setting?
<div align='right'>index.php?act=findpost&pid=509172
[/quote]

No, it's not good at all, PRI means Prime, only use it when it's hard to start like cold out or something and choke isn't helping. If you take the hose off the petcock and put it on PRI you'll see how much gas pours out of that...it's not good for the quad, if it won't run past 1/4 throttle on the ON position something's wrong, either your jetting is off, your not getting enough air, or your carb is dirty, OR your filter it dirty (fuel). Check everything over really good and make sure your getting enough gas to all the places.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dialed the jetting in to the "pri" setting. Everything is fine, the carb is clean and so is the filter. The quad runs like a CHAMP, no smoke in the exhaust, crisp response and lots of power..I happen to have dialed it in to the "pri" setting accidentally, what would be bad about running it that way? I dialed in the jetting, so it is not getting too much fuel. Thanks! Frank
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,062 Posts
Originally posted by TRUTH@May 15 2006, 06:34 PM
I dialed the jetting in to the "pri" setting. Everything is fine, the carb is clean and so is the filter. The quad runs like a CHAMP, no smoke in the exhaust, crisp response and lots of power..I happen to have dialed it in to the "pri" setting accidentally, what would be bad about running it that way? I dialed in the jetting, so it is not getting too much fuel. Thanks! Frank

<div align='right'>index.php?act=findpost&pid=509226
[/quote]

Just think of it this way, it's like running full time with choke on, but your machine is just dialed in to that setting, meaning it runs fine but your going to go through gas like mad, all prime does is very quickly empty the tank, I'm no mechanic (not yet at least, within a month I will be) but you should never have to have the machine 'dialed in' on the PRIME setting, if it's not running correctly on the 'ON' position, again, something is wrong, instead of jetting it to the PRI why not just jet it to ON like your supposed to, I need someone to back me up or tell me otherwise though because I don't want you to have bad info and mess it up even more, but you shouldn't have to use PRI for normal riding.

P.S. Not trying to tell you your dumb and crap like that for doing this, because I have somewhat of a similar case and right now that is sounding good!
But I'm gonna go through the whole carb and check everything over good
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,562 Posts
What are you guys talking about? Prime is just like an ordinary petcock that doesn't use vacume to let the gas flow. It has nothing to do with how much gas is used or how fast the tank is drained. Your float needle and seat restrict how much fuel enters the carb. All prime will hurt is that you will pass reserve and if you are trailering the quad, it can splash around inside the carb and run out the overflow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,562 Posts
Also your problem with running on ON is that the tank is probabily lower on gas than what the screen pickup will reach. Flip it on reserve and see what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
921 Posts
Check your Vacuum Line for the Carb to the Petcock. If its running on Prime and not ON then you not getting Vacuum.

And you who said you need to rejet need to be pimp smacked. That if the stupidest thing I have heard! Morons...

Nator187
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,062 Posts
Originally posted by Quad82@May 15 2006, 07:45 PM
What are you guys talking about? Prime is just like an ordinary petcock that doesn't use vacume to let the gas flow. It has nothing to do with how much gas is used or how fast the tank is drained. Your float needle and seat restrict how much fuel enters the carb. All prime will hurt is that you will pass reserve and if you are trailering the quad, it can splash around inside the carb and run out the overflow.
<div align='right'>index.php?act=findpost&pid=509256
[/quote]

I always end up flooding my quad when I use prime so that's why I would think it can't be too good, now that I think of it your right though, gas ain't getting through that little thing freely without the quad vaccuming it...I wasn't thinking straight at all there


Listen to this guy, he knows what he's talking about


Sorry - I'm a [email protected]$$ sometimes!

Edit: I agree with Nator187 - I deserve a good smack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,602 Posts
Originally posted by Quad82@May 15 2006, 06:48 PM
Also your problem with running on ON is that the tank is probabily lower on gas than what the screen pickup will reach. Flip it on reserve and see what happens.
<div align='right'>index.php?act=findpost&pid=509258
[/quote]


Bingo. Bet that if you put a little more gas in the tank (meaning fill it!) your problem will go away.

When I had my quad for the first week I couldn't for the life of me figure out why it wouldn't run right. I saw gas in the tank, knew I was jetted correctly, etc. Took it down to the quad shop, and the guy there took gas can to it and it started right up. Needless to say I was a little embarrassed...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,368 Posts
The mysterious "PRI" on your fuel petcock does indeed stand for "prime". The only purpose of this selection is the event you work on the carb, or drain the fuel, you can select "pri to fill the float bowl, without having to crank the engine.

Normaly you should use on, or res.

Truth be told the LTZ doesn't really need the vacuum petcock, buts its a Suzuki thing, dating back to the earlier streetbikes that liked to flood out after sitting more than an hour.

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Hey guysd,
I have an 05 Z with a homemade shorty and no lid..I just picked it up and was dialing in the jetting..I didn't take the time to read the manual and didn't know what PRI meant, so I dialed the jetting in with it on "PRI"..It runs like a beast, crisp,clean and powerful. If you switch the petcock to "on" it won't run past 1/4 throttle, just falls on its face..Is it ok to run it on the "PRI" setting?
Your petcock may have a issue. PRI has nothing to do with jetting.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top