Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Z for about a month and am about half way through break in, I noticed I have some small rust spots on the chain, nothing big but I was justing wondering why, and how to get rid of it. I lube the chain before every ride and stay out of mud and big water so I don't why it would do it. Thanks for any help :)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Kerosen would be better for cleaning the chain if you took it off.

·
Registered
81 Posts
the best too I have found for cleaning chains is a "grunge brush" and kerosine...any dealer should have it....and a good chain lube used frequently

·
Registered
278 Posts
yes, kerosene is naturally oily so you clean and lube at the same time :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
WD-40

·
Registered
993 Posts
Lube Chain After Ride

If you clean and lube your chain after the ride you will remove the moisture and dirt before it sits around and rusts. If you want the rust off, you can use the household cleaner CLR (calcium, lime, and rust) Remover. I wouldn't leave it sit on there long, but it will take rust off right now. Then make sure you clean it with an o-ring safe cleaner and then lube it. I like Motorex, but it is expensive. When I was young, all I ever used was WD-40 or straight oil that I rubbed on with a cloth and never broke or damanged a chain. Makes me wonder why I now spend money on the expensive crap.

Out!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts