Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy at our local dealer told me i will need to "shim" the needle.........i didnt know how so he gave me a already shimmed washer that goes under the needle clip. im wondering if anyone else had to do something like this??? he also told me to use a 155 main jet and no air lid for my hmf slip on. hmf does say 170 which seems wayyy high.

so if anyone else had to do this...please tell me lol.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I dont know about the jet size,but I did shim the needle and for stock set-up it made a noticable improvement.If you get a complete jet kit it will
come with a new needle that has grooves and clips so you can move up
or down.

Jeff

·
Registered
194 Posts
I dont know about the jet size,but I did shim the needle and for stock set-up it made a noticable improvement.If you get a complete jet kit it will
come with a new needle that has grooves and clips so you can move up
or down.

Jeff[/b]

Are you saying you ONLY shimmed the needle without taking the airbox lid off, changing the filter, and/or jets?

What is the technical function of the needle? What does changing its position do?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes no air box mod,cut out the pee shooter,one shim under the needle.
It made a difference.the combo of the needle,pilot jet and fuel screw control the performance from off idle to around 4000 rpm www.factorypro.com has a much better explaination on the art of tuning a
carb.

Jeff

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok but the guy at the shop gave me an already shimmed washer to go under the needle clip...do i use this one and the stock one combined??....or just the one he gave me......

I am going to try it without the shim and see how it goes.......then try with it.... i just need the damn slip on to get here lol so i can do it.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I'm not sure what a "shimmed" washer is, but I used two No. 4 washers under my stock needle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts