Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the motor completley in and running. Took out a path real quick twice. Worked good except for something I will post in another topic. So I am backing it out to go and actually ride for a little when smoke starts coming from the back of the quad. And a LOT. So I immediatley shut it down, and it smells like wire. It was. I turn the key back on and all of the dash lights work. So I start it (starts fine) and try the kill switch. It works. Start it back up put it in reverse, light works it moves. Everything is working. I found where the wire burnt. If you start from the battery and search to the front its the main wire right where it splits into 4.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Where is it smoking from, the front? Has it rubbed the insulation off and shorting to ground? Did it melt? if it melted, you've got to find out why. Time to break out the Multi Meter.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was smoking from the back where it melted. IT DID NOT go through the wrappping that holds all the wires together. Me and a friend are goin to try and figure out why tonight. Any ideas ?

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
I'll check out the wiring diagram later. I've never really messed with that. I'd check battery voltage when it's running. Maybe a problem with your voltage regulator? Do you have anything spliced?

Do you have a service manual, there's a few tests for the regulator/rectifier. There's also a few tests for the stator.

I'd check that whole wire and make sure no part of it (even after it splits into four) are touching bare metal or any other wires.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do not have an owners manual but need to get 1. Also I am going to work on it tomorow morning. I couldnt be the starter though cause it starts perfectly fine. It happened when I put it into reverse. So I think it may be something with the reverse light. I will check it out tomorow and let you guys know.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
STATOR, not STARTER. The stator is what generates your voltage to charge your battery and operate all the electrical systems.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks biggiej for the spelling correction. But I know what the startor does. It may be the startor but I absolutley doubt it.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Thanks biggiej for the spelling correction. But I know what the startor does. It may be the startor but I absolutley doubt it.
I wasn't correcting your spelling. We are talking about two different parts. You are talking about your STARTER, saying it starts up just fine.

I am talking about your STATOR, the generator like piece mounted underneath your side STATOR cover.

I'll write this all over, I don't know how I can stupefy it any more and make it any easier to understand.

You could possibly have a problem with your rectifier/regulator allowing too much current/voltage through from the STATOR (not starter) while charging.
I would still bet it's a wiring problem and there is a dead short somewhere. If the wire is melted, the short most likely occurred where the wire melted, so you'll never know if it was bare or not.

Start with your basics, check continuity to ground (after you remove the battery)
Check resistance, trace the wire, check your wiring diagram to make sure everything matches. Then start individually testing components if nothing has turned up.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
All true^^^. you also may want to take a close look at the shift sensor by the front sprocket and near the cdi. I think there is a wire from the sensor to the cdi for reverse? From there there are leads to the light out of the cdi to the light with a plug under the tank. Do you have the reverse mod? I let someone borrow my manual so I'm going off memory. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I looked into it this moring. And found a bunch of bare wires. The a wipe that owned it before me must of had it apart before and left a couple bare spots. What happened was 2 wires rubbed together and the 1 burned. Now I have a rats nest to fix.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Shouldn't be too bad, put some nice shrink tube over them. If you can get your hands on cloth electrical tape use it, it's amazing stuff.

·
::3 Pump Chump!::
3,047 Posts
that happened to me. the grounded wire rubbed on the subframe and shorted out on the frame. that was an easy fix tho.. took like 10 mins.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have all kinds of bare wires and a wire im gonna have to replace. Im going to put in a fuseable link right where that wire burned just in case there is another bare spot I didnt catch.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
If you do it right, there's no need and they'll be insulated better than stock.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now when I try starting it you have to hit the left back seat real hard sometimes. Its where the fuse is. It clicks when I turn the key. Usually still starts though. The battery is good too.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Sounds like the starter relay.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts