Suzuki Central Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Okay so I am seriously contemplating doing this mod but just want to make sure, If I put a stock drz or klx 400 flywheel, will it benefit my bike even though It is a basically stock motor with the exception of a full yohi and Uni fiter? How much more acceleration will you notice, alot or just some? Will I need to do the DRZE valve spring kit on my bike to help protect the top end?

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
QUOTE (tonyz400 @ Aug 10 2009, 10:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=755492
Okay so I am seriously contemplating doing this mod but just want to make sure, If I put a stock drz or klx 400 flywheel, will it benefit my bike even though It is a basically stock motor with the exception of a full yohi and Uni fiter?[/b]
yes....
QUOTE (tonyz400 @ Aug 10 2009, 10:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=755492
How much more acceleration will you notice, alot or just some? Will I need to do the DRZE valve spring kit on my bike to help protect the top end?[/b]
no...

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
i just got my DRZE flywheel on and it definitely makes a difference. i have only rode it around my yard and up the road but i can tell its a bit snappier. i like it. i also made a tool to help make the job easier if you dont have a 27mm offset wrench like i didnt. i went to Sears and Lowes and called all my mechanic friends to see if any one had one but nothing. so what i did, i took a 27mm deep well socket and i had a big a$$ 1 1/4" wrench that i never use, and plus it was made in China so i didnt care much about modifying it. i cut off the end of the socket that goes on the ratchet. the hole in the socket isnt big enough for the 17mm socket to go through so i took my Dremel and bored it out to the size i needed to fit the 17mm socket through easily. i liked the idea of using the 1 1/4" wrench because the boxed in end is angled. so after getting the socket cut and bored out and ground down i took it over to my friend Lowels house and he welded it to the end of the wrench for me. i dont have a welder. i went home and used it and it worked great. the reason for making the tool was so i could hold the whole thing still so i could make sure i torqued the 17mm bolt to spec(89ft.lb.). i used an impact wrench to get it off. this thing would be good for the people that dont have and impact. here are some pics for yall.
here is the socket used.

before getting welded.

here is the socket cut and bored out.

here it is welded up.

in use.

here are some pics of the flywheels too. left is stock ltz. right is stock drze.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thats a great idea, might have to try that when I have to remove mine here in a few days.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It works man, give it a whirl its really quite simple. Just post if you run into any problems and there will be countless people willing to help ya out. :icon_cool:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
QUOTE (Focker @ Oct 8 2009, 09:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=761733
It works man, give it a whirl its really quite simple. Just post if you run into any problems and there will be countless people willing to help ya out. :icon_cool:[/b]
i would say that this was one of the most simple mods you could do. it wasnt hard at all. i just didnt have the right tools so i had to improvise.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Nice work Trailrider :clap: ......I understand now about the dilemma you called about. My father in law took that 17mm bolt off while I was at work and I dont know how he did it. Good pics, If I decide to get a lighter flywheel I know where to borrow that tool from :lol

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
QUOTE (pimpit_r6 @ Oct 8 2009, 02:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=761754
Nice work Trailrider :clap: ......I understand now about the dilemma you called about. My father in law took that 17mm bolt off while I was at work and I dont know how he did it. Good pics, If I decide to get a lighter flywheel I know where to borrow that tool from :lol[/b]
sure. no problem. thanks man. if anyone needs or wants to borrow it just hit me up.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
i forgot to post this also. my manual is a clymer manual for my Z400 and its a newer one. there is a typo in there. it says to use a 26mm on the big bolt but its actually a 27mm.

·
Registered
375 Posts
ok so i can just buy a stock drz flywheel and it will bolt directly to my z400 and give me snapier throttle? sorry im a noob to these wheelers..

21 - 31 of 31 Posts