Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would putting my Fox Racing Shox on the z make sense? It would probably lower it a bit too. But my thoughts would be that they are made for the 490 pound beast triple 700. So landing would suck, also would be real hard. Has any one ever thought of this? front shocks

·
Registered
463 Posts
If I were you I wouldn't mess with trying shocks from a sled. The spring rate is going to be much higher, that is if you can even get them to fit.

If you want an upgrade, just find some 05+ shocks. They for me were a night and day difference. If you are going to put sled shocks on, it is going to be rougher than the stock shocks you have because they are made for the heavy engine riding right on top of them plus rider weight.

Just my opinion, but go ahead and try if you want.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe if I set the springs to as soft as possible? Just because it will lower the z and it said "fox RACING shox" I thought I might give it a shot lol

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They look about the same, just a bit shorter.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
463 Posts
Well if you want them to work correctly thats what you need to do. There is no cheap solution to good suspension. Like I said, a good cheap improvement is using shocks from newer models. I think I paid about $90 shipped for mine, and I can get them revalved in the future if I want.

·
Registered
50 Posts
ive got a set of arctic cat sled shocks w/ resies on mine,go on my profile check them out, not the greatest pics. ill take them off to get some spces for ya here soon,

·
Administrator
7,896 Posts
The first thing you need to figure out is if they would even fit. The ball joints only move so far. Either way, Im going to go ahead and say it's a bad idea. You would be way ahead to find some 05+ Z shocks, or some LTR shocks, or some honda 450R shocks. Those all fit with small or minor modification, and actually work good. The LTR shocks are great on a Z with +2" a-arms.

·
Administrator
7,896 Posts
They are too long. The Z shocks are 16-7/8" eye to eye. You can't go much beyond that before you find the limits of the ball joints, and a longer shock will make the front end sit higher anyways, and it will handle terribly. The other thing you need to compare is the collapsed length eye to eye, to see if the ball joints will allow them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i did go through 2 lower ball joints this year, ive been on a few z before mine rides pretty decent, i do have a steering damp so that helps.

·
Administrator
7,896 Posts
I dont think you are quite understanding what I mean. The ball joints only have a certain range of motion. The a-arms can only move so far up or down before the ball joints reach "ball joint bind" and will not move any farther. If you go beyond that with shocks that are too long when they are fully extended, or shocks that are too short when they bottom out, the ball joints will be moved beyond ball joint bind, and may snap off, and you could possibly end up dead.

The first thing anyone should do is remove a shock from the quad, and measure between the shock mounts with the suspension all the way up, and all the way down. These are the limits of what you can use for a shock. You should actually stay inside of those measurments to make sure you never reach ball joint bind.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts