Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i put my full exhaust on and k&n i also removed snorkle and airbox lid and had it jetted accordingly by a dealership...when u remove the lid would it not by pass the snorkle anyways?....im wonderin because ive thought of replacings snorkle for when i ride trails that tend to get wet sometimes but nothing serious....if i replace snorkle would my jetting need changes?....i would think not cause of still havin lid open

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
You are right! The engine gets all the air it needs with the lid off. you could leave the snorkle on if you want. As long as you leave the lid off you will not need to rejet.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
But if you put the snorkel on and leave the lid off whats the point? You'll still get water in the box. :roll:

G

·
Lid off and keep snorkle ... why?

But if you put the snorkel on and leave the lid off whats the point?  You'll still get water in the box. :roll:[/b]
With the lid off the snorkle is no longer functional. Leaving it on though keeps that large opening in the front of the airbox from allowing in dirt/dust/mud/water aimed at the front of the airbox. My feeling is leave the snorkle on even though the lid is off and if you remove the snorkle seal up the large hole in the front of the airbox. You get plenty enough air in the top of the lidless airbox.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I left mine on for the same exact reason Bill... you would just be ramming dirt and water in there even if you covered it w outerwear material,.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
But if you put the snorkel on and leave the lid off whats the point?  You'll still get water in the box. :roll:[/b]
it's a good place to store illegal drugs and assist with other illegal activities. :D

(sorry, had to add some humor)

G

·
I left mine on for the same exact reason Bill... you would just be ramming dirt and water in there even if you covered it w outerwear material,.[/b]
I agree, with that snorkle opening on the front of the box open, you would be leaving a straight shot path for mud, water and all. I'm on the look out for a circular say plastic can top, etc. that would click on to the end of the circular opening where the snorkle tube unplugs. Would be nice to get the snorkle apparatus off the bike. Until I find a cap I will let the snorkle apparatus stay in place though. Guess I could duck tape the opening but that would look like heck.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Take a look at the airbox again

how is an opening at the front of the airbox (snorkel out)...with engine, frame, and radiator in the path going to hurt your engine or allow dirt/water in any quicker than leaving the lid off so that water CAN DRIP directly from the back of your fenders, seat etc...onto your filter?
:?:

At least with the snorkel out/lid on there is NO DIRECT PATH TO IMPACT for contaminants.

8O

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
theres a plastic lip under the seat that would help prevent water from rolling in while the snorkle hole is wide open to any and everything....ur legs and other engine components do help guard it is the sense that mud or water could fly up there but it all depends on what u ride i guess....i know from just washing it alone more water comes in through there then the airbox top if any

G

·
theres a plastic lip under the seat that would help prevent water from rolling in while the snorkle hole is wide open to any and everything....ur legs and other engine components do help guard it is the sense that mud or water could fly up there but it all depends on what u ride i guess....i know from just washing it alone more water comes in through there then the airbox top if any[/b]
Though "Opinions Vary" my guess is most people that have closely looked at the set-up would agree with you 110% . As for me I see most of the mud/crud on the front of the airbox. When washing I throw on the airbox lid especially if the seat is off just for that extra bit of precaution. SO, my opinion is unless you can cover that snorkle hole in the airbox after you remove the snorkle assembly then it is best to leave the snorkle assembly on.
:

·
Registered
517 Posts
How about some logic?

:

Think about it...the snorkel already has a hole in it to allow DIRECT air introduction from a location a little further up the backbone on the Z...right?

SO, the hole is already there, just located about 12" UPHILL from the box.
Remembering the whole thing about shiz rolling down hill (gravity) and the fact that the airbox lid was not designed with any holes in it....how does removing the snorkle make less sense than removing the airbox lid?
And, if you go into real deep water, the SNORKEL ACTS LIKE A FUNNEL! to the water and mud... :?:

When you wash the z...OBVIOUSLY you need to not only cover up the entire air intake area, you need to plug your exhaust tip as well.

Seriously, now, why is one way better than another :?:

G

·
Re: How about some logic?

:

Think about it...the snorkel already has a hole in it to allow DIRECT air introduction from a location a little further up the backbone on the Z...right?

SO, the hole is already there, just located about 12" UPHILL from the box.
Remembering the whole thing about shiz rolling down hill (gravity) and the fact that the airbox lid was not designed with any holes in it....how does removing the snorkle make less sense than removing the airbox lid?
And, if you go into real deep water, the SNORKEL ACTS LIKE A FUNNEL! to the water and mud... :?:

When you wash the z...OBVIOUSLY you need to not only cover up the entire air intake area, you need to plug your exhaust tip as well.

Seriously, now, why is one way better than another :?:[/b]
IF you follow that snorkle up from the airbox to its very end you see what?
Not exactly an open 3" +- hole in diameter. Also, you mentioned the snorkle is "located about 12" UPHILL from the box" thus 12" higher above flying mud. Now, if you add the business about real deep water and stuff then I would prefer airbox lid on, snorkle in place and a rubber duck to hold on to. Anyway, lets not beat this to death........... "Opinions may vary"
:

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Okay...I took mine off...placed a home-made outerwear over the opening with a rubberband to hold it on. I don't ride in wet conditions (typically)...but even when I have...I've never seen mud anywhere near the airbox. I ride in sand and barely get any sand in the airbox...just a little dust. I took it off because it makes anything you do that involves taking the gas tank off...a He!! of a lot easier (i.e. checking spark plug when jetting).

Granted we aren't always taking the tank off. But I don't see any harm in it. If where you ride the front of the airbox gets covered in mud...then leave it on...or do what I did..take some speaker fabric...spray it with water repellant..and cover it. It won't let "Mud" into your airbox. You may get a little condensation if mud gets onto it..but that's about it.

G

·
Okay...I took mine off...placed a home-made outerwear over the opening with a rubberband to hold it on. I don't ride in wet conditions (typically)...but even when I have...I've never seen mud anywhere near the airbox. I ride in sand and barely get any sand in the airbox...just a little dust. I took it off because it makes anything you do that involves taking the gas tank off...a He!! of a lot easier (i.e. checking spark plug when jetting).

Granted we aren't always taking the tank off. But I don't see any harm in it. If where you ride the front of the airbox gets covered in mud...then leave it on...or do what I did..take some speaker fabric...spray it with water repellant..and cover it. It won't let "Mud" into your airbox. You may get a little condensation if mud gets onto it..but that's about it.[/b]
Agreed best off as it gives you more working room. My posts here just say I feel resulting hole in airbox should be covered in my opinion. YES, your solution would be a good one especially in Arizona. As for us that are condemned to life long riding in occasional wet conditions a plastic cap, lots of duct tape or such over that hole would be the best in my opinion again..
OK, I'm outta this conversation as it is getting old like me...... Hey, did you guys read my post on these boards in regard to warranty?
http://www.z400central.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5718
For those that have the energy to read lots only...

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I read it...very informative. Thank you, but unfortunately it doesn't help me. Being that they (the Suzuki People) have the power to say "It was ridden to hard, so we're not giving you the warranty".

And yes, they do...it's written in the contract that way, those rotten bastards...I wish I could meet them in person. I know it wouldn't help the situation any, but I'd feel a whole lot better. :twisted:

G

·
I read it...very informative. Thank you, but unfortunately it doesn't help me. Being that they (the Suzuki People) have the power to say "It was ridden to hard, so we're not giving you the warranty".

And yes, they do...it's written in the contract that way, those rotten bastards...I wish I could meet them in person. I know it wouldn't help the situation any, but I'd feel a whole lot better. :twisted:[/b]
Would like to comment here. I know nothing of your particular situation with warranty and Suzuki so what I will say has nothing to do with you...
Anyway, in defense of manufacturers like Kawasaki, Suzuki and all the others I can see their side too. IF a product owner pushes a product to far, beyond what is reasonable then the manufacturer really should not be responsible but the person that willingly and knowling chose to say abuse the product. My big concern more so is the dealer that says you have to have the work at his shop or a factory authorized shop or you have to buy factory oil or you can't rejet, add pipes or whatever OR your warranty will be void. (Harley Davidson is big on this) These out for self gain dealers are the ones that I feel we all should pursue with weapons like the ones I noted in my warranty posting here. For the record I myself have tried often (sometimes succeeding and other times not) to get a dealer to have warranty pay for things that I know I broke because I exceeded the vehicles limits. Sometimes I don't even try to get a dealer to cover under warranty stuff that I know I torn up by fault of my own or say my teenage sons.. Occasionally, as a good will gesture a dealer will push something through under warranty but of course the dealer can get slapped on the hand by the manufacturer also and maybe even not get paid himself. SO, I have to defend the dealers on some things but condemn them on others, You have to understand though that the dealers and manufacturers like us value their $ and hold on to them tightly.. My gut feeling is that most dealers will rip you off in a heartbeat! Notice I said most as there are others that we can seek out that do not. Hope my comments here will be judged fairly... and no I am not a bike dealer, etc. I am over 50 though which undoubtedly colors my thoughts a certain way.....

·
Registered
517 Posts
I agree with BillArf

well said...if you abuse it, you may lose it.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Re: I agree with BillArf

well said...if you abuse it, you may lose it.[/b]
I agree also. Here's the short and sweet of my story....I"ll keep it brief.

I bought the extended warranty for $500. Last month I went over the quad really good...so I thought. I found the axle was slightly warped and there was a crack in the frame above the left shock mount on the front. Well I took it in and had it looked at...Suzuki sent a warranty guy out to inspect it. Well, he found something that I somehow overlooked...probably because I didn't lay on my back to see it. The frame has a pretty large bend in it where the VIN is. So they (Suzuki) decided that a collision caused that...and everything else to go wrong. All I wanted them to replace was the rear axle...I did get one of the first batches and we all know the axles were bending on them...mine just didn't bend soon enough I guess. So anyway, now I'm trying to fight a war with Suzuki to get them to replace something that they know would have been messed up anyway.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Ok I'm removing the snorkel cover not the piece that attaches to the air box. I think people are getting the "snorkel" and the "Snorkel cover" confused or just not specifing.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
damn i didnt mean to raise such a big conflict.....lol i was just making sure of myself....it all depends on ur riding conditions and style so decide for yourself

1 - 20 of 21 Posts