Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been brought up some where before, but my Z rear brake squeeks all the time. I've heard about the non-drilled rotors get hot and warp = squeek and mine is non drilled but I noticed that an add in the mag's with the Z in the air in the dunes. It says and I quote" Ventilated disc brakes - the works." and if I see it right the photo looks to have a ventilated rear disc brake due to the light showing through the small holes in the solid rotor?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mine squeaks too like there is a high spot on the rotor. I didn't notice it until after I hit a rock and broke my shock linkage skid. I may have tweaked the rotor from hitting the rock since the swingarm skid is so flimsy. I have a complete set of PRM skids on the way. :D

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
My rear brake sqweks too, but its not that bad. Once your past 5 mph it goes away. Below 5 mph its not even loud and it only does it every few spots on the rotor, people don't even hear it over the exhaust.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I had posted this same problem earlier because mine started to squeak about 2 hrs. after I got it and I still think it is warped and being caused by the rotor being solid, just to much surface area heating up and cooling down and not having any room for expansion and contraction without it causing the rotor to warp. I may be all wrong but I would like to try an aftermarket one with holes but they run from $100.00 to $120.00. Thought about taking it in and seeing if the warranty would cover it and if I got a new one drill some holes in it and see what happens but they probably will not cover the brakes under the warranty, I do not know though for sure but it might be worth a try.

DadsZ400

·
Registered
970 Posts
I thought about that. I just never use mine so it does not get hot. Some guys remove them altogether and save the weight too. You have no backup if the front fails though!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Checked the ad

I checked the ad you were talking about. It sure does say "ventilated disc brakes- the works." If it says that in an advertisement, and they rotors not ventilated, thats false advertising. They would be required to do what it takes to stand up to what they advertised. Before you go running into your dealer though check the front brake rotors. IF they are ventilated Suzuki would just say that they never specified which rotors were ventilated, just that it had them. They can usually find an easy way out of these things. They pay lawyers big $$ to go through all their promotional stuff and make sure nothing likes this pops up. I cant pick up my new Z till the 20th so keep me posted. As soon as I get it, I'll be cheking on the rotor issue. Let me know

·
Registered
221 Posts
can you drill holes in it or will that mess something up?

dave

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I heard somebody talking about how they tried that and screwed it up ral bad. Had to replace it. I think you can take it to a machine shop and they have a specil bit for it or somethin. Id ask your dealer first though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
looked at the add and sure enough you can see a rear disk with holes/ slots. Mine squeeks just a tad sometimes to but not woried about it. If its a warping thing if you jack the rear end up and rotate the tires you would feel a spot where it drags more than others if its a big problem I would think.

·
Registered
837 Posts
imac, mine is warped enough that when the back end is jacked up and I run the quad in gear (be very careful when doing this so the quad will not come off of the jack and take off on you) you can see the rotor wobble and the caliper move side to side. As for the rotor drilling. I had it done once on a sand rail I had, had no problems with it but also had the drilling done at a votech machine shop. Use a good bit and keep the heat down and not get excessive with the holes and you should be fine.

DadsZ400

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mine is sqeaking too. Its pretty loud and the tapping of the brakes ain't working. I finally decided to take a look. Sure enough, the disc has a high spot. Chances are, its from when I cracked my plastic skidplate. :roll: Anyone figure how much for a replacement? or ideas for an aftermarket disc?

·
Registered
837 Posts
I removed my rear disk today and athough the garage floor is not exactly level like a machined surface would be, but the rotor did have a little bit of a rock to it and that was tried in differant areas so the rotor is warped plus it has some stress cracks in it by the mounting bolts.

Jocky Wilson I have checked on aftermarket rotors and they are ranging from $108.00 to $119.00 dollars this was from EBC brakes and Brakes USA ? I think. Rocky Mountain has EBC for $89.95 but the Z is not listed.

Now to figure out what to do and I think I will take the rotor into my dealer so he can see it and listen to the speal about how I should have not taken it off for warranty reasons, but I do not want another stock one because it will probably do the same thing again.

DadsZ400

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks DadsZ400 for those prices. Do you think it warped from the heat or the factory or did it bend like mine thanks to that great skidplate?

·
Registered
837 Posts
I think it is from heat because it did not do it when I first got it and nothing was hit and it started about 2 hrs after I started riding.
My adjuster was also off but it did not help to align the marks.

DadsZ400

·
Registered
11 Posts
My wife and I have only ridden our Z's twice... The first time, no sqeaking. The second time, we crossed a small creek and they both started the sqeak. The next morning (we were camping) the sqeak was gone on both. It seems to happen after the rear brake gets wet and then gets dust in it.

-Ash

1 - 18 of 18 Posts