Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just rebuilt my quad and put the motor in, fixed an electrical issue, and put a new battery in it. This thing has a hard time starting and just randomly decides to bog down and die. I put Wiesco valves, Wiesco timing chain, Wiesco High Compression Piston and rings, and a quad boss top end gasket set in it. I had a cycle mechanic put the valves in and shim them correctly. So it can't be the valves. And after I got it all back together I drained the gas and put some new 92 grade gas in it. I cleaned the air filter really good also. I put a NGK Iridium spark plug in it. I just took that off. Im going to check the gap and make sure its correct. Then if it is, take the carb off and spray it out with brake cleaner. Im taking the jets out to clean them up real good too. What do you think my issue might be ?

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Are you getting good flow from your petcock? Did you try running it on prime? How's your float level? Is your idle set high enough?

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
How high compression? Did you get a colder plug? If you're getting fuel out of the petcock on prime, run it that way and see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats the only way I can run it is on prime.
Reserve and on arent getting a flow.
I got the NGK Iridium plug. As far as I know about the plug its supposed to be ngk's best.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
There's different heat ranges of the same plug, if you're higher compression, you should be using a colder plug. I went from a 7E to 8E because of a compression bump.

You will need to change your jetting for the higher compression also, you could be running real lean right now.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Check out the jetting database. I'm not too familiar with the stock carb. Mine was jetted for me when I bought it, that was all part of the package with the full yosh, the dealer hooked me up. After I did all my engine work, I put the Eddy carb on, now the FCR39.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
The stock petcocks are notorious for malfunctioning. They're vacuum operated and can just stop working. A lot of people just run on pri all the time, and others go out and get a stock raptor 660 petcock (direct replacement).

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im definitley gonna look into the raptor 1.
Would a dynojet kit be a good investment ?
Or should I get yoshi jets, since that is what my pipe is ?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I always buy indivdual jets from the dealer. If you do enough reaserch you can figure out what jet to try. The jetting database is a good place to start. Also, if you list your mods, someone will get you in the ballpark.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
my mods: No air lid
Wiesco high compression piston and rings
Wiesco valves,
Wiesco timing chain,
Quadboss top end gasket kit,
Yoshi slip on,
and soon I will be putting a clamp on air filter.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
my mods: No air lid
Wiesco high compression piston and rings
Wiesco valves,
Wiesco timing chain,
Quadboss top end gasket kit,
Yoshi slip on,
and soon I will be putting a clamp on air filter.
What's the compression ratio and elevation?
I would start at 25 pilot and 150/155 main. The jetting database will have more info as well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts