Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I stand my quad up to clean it and put it back down it never starts until I drain the gas out of the carb. Even after I drain the bowl I still have a very hard time getting the machine started. Should I turn the gas off when I stand it on end? The manual does not say so?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
You can't turn the gas off on the Z. It has an automatic shutoff when the quad is off...the fuel is off. make sure you don't have it on prime and that the choke is off. I've never had that problem with mine. Also...if your not doing it now...try giving it some gas when your starting it if this happens again.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RESPONSE

I do not touch the gas or the choke I just flip it on its end to clean it and when I bring the machine down it seems like it is flooded. I have even let it sit... thinking it would start after time. The only way I can get it to start is to drain the bowl of the carb. After I drain the bowl do I need to prime? I have not done that in the past. It is so bad that I will not flip the bike up to clean it anymore to avoid this problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It is best to drain the carb before tipping it up. I then put it on prime until it fires up. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Yes the Z i have found likes to empty the gas in the carb into the airbox so i have just put it on prime for a couple seconds turn it back to on and it starts up

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
When ever i stand my z up it floods to but ive never had to drain the carb though. It usually takes 10-15 seconds to start. Im going to try the prime thing next time though, Ive never used the prime.

2003 suzuki z400
Dg front bumper
k&n filter
jet kit
Ac propeg nerfs
Suzuki swingarm skid

·
Registered
839 Posts
Its been pretty cold for the past 2 weeks and I usually have to put it on prime and it fires right up.

·
Registered
632 Posts
No matw

·
Registered
632 Posts
Sorry about the cryptic messsage, but my browser locked up.

Anyway, No Matter where the gas valve, the gas will flow to your airbox if there is enough gas in the tank to reach the valve.

Tilt your quad up for 15 minutes with a full tank of gas and your airbox will have gas in it, and your filter will be soaked on the bottom.

The only solution I found was a Briggs & Stratton inline valve.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I leave the valve on the "on Position, then drain the carb bowl, then stand it up. I was getting gas in the air box if I didn't do this.
I urge everyone to check thier filter after they stand it up with out draining the carb bowl first.

·
Registered
36 Posts
<<"Anyway, No Matter where the gas valve, the gas will flow to your airbox if <<there is enough gas in the tank to reach the valve.

Drain the float bowl first. The gas comes from there. In the "on" position, gas will not flow from the tank.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
The first couple of times I stood our two up, no problems, after that, gas everywhere. Drained bowl every time thereafter, no problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts