Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bored my z400 to a 440 and the starter doesnt turn the piston fast enough to cause enough compression to start. I am able to push start it though. Im wondering if i can put a ltr 450 starter on it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I recently bored my z400 to a 440 and the starter doesnt turn the piston fast enough to cause enough compression to start. I am able to push start it though. Im wondering if i can put a ltr 450 starter on it. Will it fit .

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
do you have cams with-out a decompressor on the exhaust ?

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
I should all so ask if you have the valve lash set right ?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Had the same problem when I went big bore with OSHC's.
My starter was old so I got a new one.
Also did the raptor 350 battery which helps massively .

·
Administrator
12,447 Posts
Raptor 350 battery..........never heard that one and I just bought a new battery! More CCA's?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Raptor 350 battery..........never heard that one and I just bought a new battery! More CCA's?
Yes, I got the tip off here about 2 years ago, brilliant, never had a problem since.

YTZ10S is the battery number , it is smaller in hight but rest is same as oem, just use something under the clamp to hold it down.

·
Registered
601 Posts
My 434 with big cams and decomp intact turns over just fine with a good battery (1-2yrs old). Have you tested the battery under load? Just because it shows certain voltage sitting there doesn't mean anything under load. Plenty of guys on here with bigger motors than you and I don't remember reading any problems like this, but maybe I missed it?

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
some thing I did was to replace the starter wires with larger gage wire

Reactions: amcf18

·
Premium Member
4,092 Posts
Yes, I got the tip off here about 2 years ago, brilliant, never had a problem since.

YTZ10S is the battery number , it is smaller in hight but rest is same as oem, just use something under the clamp to hold it down.
Yep, 190 CCA

·
Super Moderator
3,399 Posts
My 434 with big cams and decomp intact turns over just fine with a good battery (1-2yrs old)
What do you call big cams? The bigger they are, the more duration/overlap decreases starting compression. I don't think you will find any cam harder to start then OSHC's.

·
Administrator
12,447 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
What do you call big cams? The bigger they are, the more duration/overlap decreases starting compression. I don't think you will find any cam harder to start then OSHC's.
Megacycle x510. Also ran stock cams and didn't notice a huge difference with starts. Never had hotcams, so I can't compare to them, maybe I just got lucky. Starts are pretty important to me for xc, so I do take the dremel and polish all battery/starter connection wires and grounds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts