Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i own two LTZs a 2007 that currently has the top end apart due to a blown head gasket, but upon inspection it needs a bottom end as well. I also recently bought a 2004 that runs strong, the typical timing chain clatter but have a did on the way. its as the sig says worked over a good bit and runs strong. Id say it runs as good as my big 3 raptor 700 just a different power, more mid to top end the raptor has more grunt.

I am wanting to take the best of both bikes and build a better than new Z. I was going to buy a new Z but they quit making them so id like handling of an LTR450 with reliability of an LTZ400 while making good power and being fun, without breaking the bank.

I know im asking a lot.

I plan to start on it tonight by tearing down the 07 to the bare frame to blast it then deciding between painting it and having it powdercoated. I really just play around on our property and ride in the woods on our land a lot. Not going to be doing huge jumps or racing.

I would like to widen the Z a bit to make it a bit more stable, id like it to ride well and handle well.

From there if there are any good effective ways to lighten it. I right now plan to pull the motor from the 04 to go into the 07 frame when its ready. then build a stroker to go into it later out of the current 07 engine. i own both quads now, and have the parts as listed in sig. Can i make a great Z for 4k cash outlay? be great if i could make a good one for far less lol.

opinons?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
id say that defeats the purpose of trying to do it on a budget lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just saw that frame. At 1200 bucks I'm about tempted just for the holy WooterWooterWooterWooter factor lol, but tough to justify when that could build an entire motor or front suspension.

·
Registered
839 Posts
You can easily do a nice build for 4k. I would save at least 1200 for the stroker build. As for everything else I would have your stock suspension re-valved and re-sprung (400-600), A-arms (450-550), axle (200), and then just get a full exhaust (250 used- 600), intake (150) and FCR carburetor (200). I am positive you could do all of that with your budget, and it would make it a great trail machine that would last you years.

You can also offset your cost by selling leftover parts down the road out of the 2 machines. I just had a frame sandblasted and powdercoated for $125 in textured black to give you an idea. I think that is on the cheaper side.

From the looks of your signature you already have a bunch of the parts I mentioned. I would do a Long Travel front suspension kit then, you won't regret it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes i already have a full sparks exhaust, as well as LTR450 fronts and a GT THunder reworked rear shock(open to upgrading if really worth it for what i do i have my doubts) FCR39mm carb, ESR intake, OSHC, and a solid running 434 that i could just reuse honestly(i want more though) so should i just use the shocks i have or go to aftermarket what arms would you reccomend. retain stock swingarm(aftermarket seems tough to get and way costly)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts