Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a great deal on the Big Gun pipe for the kid's Z from Cheapracer and it looks good, sounds good and seems to have punched things up quite a bit.

Unlike the Yoshi pipes on my other two Zs there is no way to mount the heat shield. I'm thinking of trying something with hose clamps and nuts.......I'm sure I could weld a nut or threaded bung to the pipe but that would be last resort.
It may be a non issue but I could see it getting pretty hot. I know mine does (when I'm in shorts I really feel it) and I have the shield.

Has anybody done anything like this...........ideas?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I was wondering the same thing because on my FMF Pbomb header there is no way to mount a heat shield

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Try some exhaust wrap, it'll keep the heat in and aid with your scavenging effect ;).

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try some exhaust wrap, it'll keep the heat in and aid with your scavenging effect ;).
Nope, this pipe had surface rust when I got it. If I wrap it it'll disintegrate from the moisture. I know of it's merits but I'm not a fan of exhaust wraps.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Well i be sure to get some before i let my new head pipe get broke in. Should i wrap the slip on also?

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Nope, just the header.

How about welding bungs onto your head pipe spize so you can tap them and screw in the heat shield.

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I mentioned that in the original post.
I'm thinking JB weld a nut to a hose clamp X 3. I see no reason why the JB wouldn't hold........

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I forget the name of the company, but I bought a carbon fiber heat shield off ebay for cheap for my powerbomb. They did also have ones for other headers.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
i dont...i bought it a year ago...kfxguy has a link about them that is under active topics, but he says in there that he thinks they discontinued it. ill try to search for one for ya

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
My sparks gets hot but not too hot, it's ceramic coated so that's what helps me when I ride in shorts. But I'm not sure of the cost to ceramic coat the header.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
My neighbor has a heat shield that has hose clamps so you pretty much mount it to any pipe, maybe you could find something like that.

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well being the cheap guy that I am I decided to make my own. I went to the local hardware store and got 3 hose clamps, 3 aluminum threaded spacers, some button head allen bolts and 3 ss fender washers.
I drilled a hole in the hose clamps (ss hose clamps=hard material) and attached the spacers. Put it on the pipe loose then put the shield on and tightened everything up. I need to go backand find some SS button heads for the outside bolts. I don't like the black.
8 bucks..........good enough. Might not have even needed it but being the kids quad I thought I ought to get something on there.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Looks great

·
Registered
433 Posts

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I spent 8 bucks and have the stock heat shield on there. That thing looks cheap as hell.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts