Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I just bought an 1986 185 quadrunner and can't get it started. I do have a nice blue spark at plug. Don't know how old the gas is, but it didn't seem to change anything when I put some fresh gas into the carb. Air filter seems good and clean, but I removed it just for starting purposes to rule out a clogged filter. It occasionally will start will a little gas into the carb and a shot of starting fluid. It will run for about 3 seconds then die. I did take carb apart and clean. It appears that someone did a rebuild recently. It looked pretty clean inside. I flushed out all the ports and blew air through everything. I also just installed a new fuel pump (which was disconnected). I did hook up all fuel hoses according to the diagram in the service manual. I really just want to get this thing running so I can tweak it a bit. I never owned a 4 wheeler with a de-compression lever. When I pull it in, it is easy to start, but only for one pull. I basically have to pull the lever for every pull. Is that normal? Any suggestions you have is much appreciated..

·
Super Moderator
3,423 Posts
That is the way the decompression lever works. You cannot trust old gas, period.You have to verify a supply of fresh gas. Check at the fuel hose, and drain the float bowel.. If you get old dead gas on the plug, it can wet foul as well. put in a fresh plug to try with the fresh fuel, or at least let the plug dry off.
The fact it runs at all means you are close, but you should do a compression check to see what you are dealing with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I took carb back off and gave it another cleaning. It started right up but revved about 3K. I guess I have to mess with the air/fuel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: Needle in slide was not full seated in hole in carb letting way to much air in. Re-seated it, and it idles like normal now. Quad runs real good with the exception of a stumble in idle and running way to rich to the point that it can burn your eyes. I put a new spark plug in it today b/c the old one was black and left my daughter stranded due to running way too rich. Seemed to help a little bit, but still running rich IMO. I turned the air screw 2-3 turns out from a light seat. I also have to have the idle screw all the way in to maintain, what I consider, a proper RPM idle.

Note: Since I needed a spark plug asap, so my daughter could continue to ride with her friends, I picked one up at Advance Auto. The brand is E3. I never heard of them and am wondering if it's causing the stumbling idle. Can anyone offer an opinion on this brand spark plug?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,638 Posts
I have used them in weed wackers and lawn mowers with no issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. It felt weird not putting an NGK plug in there. I use NGK for everything,,,,,my cars, my quads, small engines, etc. I know people who own Harleys have commented negatively about these plugs. Maybe for some engines they work well, but for others, there may be issues. The kid at Advance Auto said that NGK actually makes this plug. I don't know whether or not that's true. In time, I'll know of it's a good plug or a hype.

·
Super Moderator
4,638 Posts
I’ve heard the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts