Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently did a timing chain replacement on my ltz400. Before i did this the quad would crank but just wouldn’t start i replaced the spark plug and it still wouldn’t start so I replaced the timing chain because its needed it for a while but it still wont start it just cranks and will occasionally backfire but it wont start the timing is right its been rechecked 3 or 4 times now. Any help is appreciated thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,992 Posts
Valve clearance within spec?

Reactions: JOE G

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I recently did a timing chain replacement on my ltz400. Before i did this the quad would crank but just wouldn’t start i replaced the spark plug and it still wouldn’t start so I replaced the timing chain because its needed it for a while but it still wont start it just cranks and will occasionally backfire but it wont start the timing is right its been rechecked 3 or 4 times now. Any help is appreciated thanks
i just bumpstart mine when cold. Takes very little

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine bumstarts very easily when it cold but it just bugs me because it should start
maybe adjust the idle screw slightly, it's on the left-hand side of your bike on the carb, this will make the quad idle at higher rpm, so u won't have to hold the gas when cranking the engine. make sure u put the screw back in its normal position after the quad starts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
maybe adjust the idle screw slightly, it's on the left-hand side of your bike on the carb, this will make the quad idle at higher rpm, so u won't have to hold the gas when cranking the engine. make sure u put the screw back in its normal position after the quad starts.
It wont start when holding the throttle it will only bumpstart that whats confusing me because it starts with such little effort when you pop start it but i just wont start with the e start i just replaced the battery and the starter so it should start.

·
Super Moderator
4,992 Posts
Sounds exactly like valve clearance out of spec or low compression to me. Until you check those, who knows what it is. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds exactly like valve clearance out of spec or low compression to me. Until you check those, who knows what it is. 🤷‍♂️
If it was low on compression would it be low on power when i ride it? After its warmed up it will fire right back up after i shut it off but this is the most power i had out of this thing in a long time its not lacking in power at all

·
Super Moderator
4,992 Posts
Valves and rings stretch when they warm up. If the valve clearance is a little too big, it will change with temperature and come into spec. With these Zs, these are the first 2 things I check, followed by clean the air filter and carb. If you don’t narrow it down, you’ll likely never find the issue. This is troubleshooting 101.

You’re probably right about compression, just a habit I get into.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts