Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to Tom at TC Racing and he said that he can mod the chain tensioner with a 3/16 rod welded onto the end to give the tensioner more push for when the chain streches. Anyone had this done?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
they also have an extension kit on ebay that does the same thing. i believe Alba makes it. just delaying the inevitable IMO. if you dont want to by a manual one, there is a thread on here that takes you step by step on how to turn your stock one into a manual tensioner. looks pretty easy.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Do not extend your tensioner. It was designed that way for a reason. If there is not enough tension left, it's time for a new chain. If you extend the tensioner and the already stretched chain stretches more you run the risk of it breaking. Then you've got major problems on your hands.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright thanks guys. The mechanic that told me to do this said that the chain would last for another 2 years if I did it. But should I just throw another chain in it? Like the DID chain or what?

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
DID 3/4 chain. Seriously, don't extend your tensioner, you're only asking for problems with that. $100 now to replace the chain is better than $1000 when it snaps and tears apart your head/piston

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright thanks biggie. So I will have to remove my cams to put the new chain in right?

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Yes, and you'll need to pull the head, clutch cover, clutch basket and hub as well.

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts