Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I haven't had too good of a summer for riding, still have a few fall trips planned though. The house I am moving into for the next year has a garage, so I will be able to do all the work on the wheeler I want.

I have kind of turned into a maintenance fiend, and am working on getting my wheeler back to brand new status so I can rip on it with hopefully no worries.

Since I will be ripping the wheeler down to the frame and replacing and rebuilding what I can, what kinda mods would you guys do? I plan on all bushings, bearings, and wear points to start. What does it cost to powdercoat a frame?

I have replaced clutch, front bearings, put in CW kit, and new sprockets and chain.

I know tearing the wheeler all the way down may not be necessary, but it will be a good project. (Guess I have too much time). What I am really getting down to here is asking what other things you would do if you were tearing your machine down to the frame. I am not in need of gussetting, I don't jump anything crazy and have no frame cracks.

Well since I am posting, can anyone give a price on powdercoating a frame?

THanks guys.

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
the "to be installed" items in my sig are good things to do while you have it torn down. I'm just waiting for either a good reason to tear it down or for when I get my final piece (The bbk).

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Well, I would gusset the frame anyways since you will have it completely off and gona powder coat it. And since it's been ridden for about 11 years, I would say it's now or never to gusset. And DRZ base gasket and fcr carb will awaken the beast with in:cool:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I would replace the swimarm pivot bolt for a stainless steel one from Advantage Cycles to prevent it from getting stuck in there. Hopefully yours will come out easily, if not it will be a BIG pain in the butt.
Gusset kit for sure if you are going to strip it down to the frame. You might never break the stock frame but you never know and it's always good to have that extra peace of mind. And if you are going to have it powder coated, why not?

Before any other engine mods, I would get a full exhaust, personally, I like Curtis Sparks but HMF, Yoshi, Rossier are great exhausts as well. Then open up the intake a bit with and ESR or Velocity intake. An FCR 39/40 will compliment that setup nicely.
What kind of riding do you do? You could find some old style hotcams to wake it up a bit more if you need. I don't think you have stiffer valve springs, right? And I'm guessing you wouldn't want to open the engine again to put them in so for now I would stay away from a CDI. Stock valves are prone to breaking at high rpm and stock springs may let valve float occur.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Make sure you change the lower stem bushings if there is any play, there a bit of a pain to do with it together. As for the gusset kit, if you catch a tree with the front, it may help save it. A 13 tooth sprocket will chew up the chain slide also.

·
Registered
342 Posts
As for the price your looking for to PC your frame, my buddy had his done a few months ago and he paid $250 to have it done. I called around and that seems to be the going price around here at the local shops.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts