Suzuki Central Forum banner

The LTR...

10K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  Grath 
#1 ·
So as you all know I sold my Honda and within the next couple hours, I had a 2008 ltr450 sitting in my shed. I rode it home in a blizzard, got no traction on the way home (bald 18" tires) since there was a couple inches of ice over the blacktop and froze my hands off on the way. I let my brother take it to his shop and do all the stuff I'd rather not do because I'm a bit lazy like adjusting the valves, change the oil, clean the throttle body and stuff like that. I paid $2300 for it, the guy cut me a deal since I've known him and have been good friends for a while.

Anyway, I ran into few couple problems. One of the oil drain bolts leaks and only threads in right when it decides to. The exhaust cam journals were all scraped up do to the cam cap being loose for whatever reason I do not know. Then with my luck, pulled the spark plug cap off and it fell apart. That is all I have been hit with so far.

I put some valve lapping compound on the cam where it meets the journal and put the cap on, pressed on the cap, and rotated the cam back and forth for a couple minutes. I then used a plastigauge to measure the clearance between the cam and the journal (service manual says a max service limit of .006 inches) and I started at .002 inches after the first try. After about 4 or 5 sessions of grueling cam rotations and plastigauge measuring, I ended up at about .0035 to .004 which is where I want to stop if the scrapes aren't noticeable by feel. So that fixes that, it ran the way it was but I didn't want to risk something catching and stopping the cam which would most likely stuff a valve into my piston.

I haven't messed with the drain bolt yet, but the way my brother made it sound (I haven't assessed the issue yet) it is just crap in the threads messing up the bolts, and the threads on the case are fine. I'll take a look at it this weekend.

Here is what I have found on the quad:

Oval Yoshi RS-5 slip on
Cherrybomb
Pro Taper handlebars
ProDesign Pro Flow kit w/ UNI filter
AMS beadlocks
AC (I think) bumper and nerf bars
Pro Armour grab bar and tether
Start button mod

Here she is after I rode it home.

Here is the damage before I cleaned the journals up with valve lapping compound, look at the exhaust side and compare it to the intake.

I've already got some goodies to install. I'll get some more pics when I bring it back to the house!

See less See more
#3 ·
I think I'm satisfied. Lol. Traded all the way up from my z400 to this.

#13 ·
Sausage fingers... Quality :cool:

#7 ·
Dammit those aren't my hands in the pics!! Lol

#8 ·
So as you all know I sold my Honda and within the next couple hours, I had a 2008 ltr450 sitting in my shed. I rode it home in a blizzard, got no traction on the way home (bald 18" tires) since there was a couple inches of ice over the blacktop and froze my hands off on the way. I let my brother take it to his shop and do all the stuff I'd rather not do because I'm a bit lazy like adjusting the valves, change the oil, clean the throttle body and stuff like that. I paid $2300 for it, the guy cut me a deal since I've known him and have been good friends for a while.

Anyway, I ran into few couple problems. One of the oil drain bolts leaks and only threads in right when it decides to. The exhaust cam journals were all scraped up do to the cam cap being loose for whatever reason I do not know. Then with my luck, pulled the spark plug cap off and it fell apart. That is all I have been hit with so far.

I put some valve lapping compound on the cam where it meets the journal and put the cap on, pressed on the cap, and rotated the cam back and forth for a couple minutes. I then used a plastigauge to measure the clearance between the cam and the journal (service manual says a max service limit of .006 inches) and I started at .002 inches after the first try. After about 4 or 5 sessions of grueling cam rotations and plastigauge measuring, I ended up at about .0035 to .004 which is where I want to stop if the scrapes aren't noticeable by feel. So that fixes that, it ran the way it was but I didn't want to risk something catching and stopping the cam which would most likely stuff a valve into my piston.

I haven't messed with the drain bolt yet, but the way my brother made it sound (I haven't assessed the issue yet) it is just crap in the threads messing up the bolts, and the threads on the case are fine. I'll take a look at it this weekend.

Here is what I have found on the quad:

Oval Yoshi RS-5 slip on
Cherrybomb
Pro Taper handlebars
ProDesign Pro Flow kit w/ UNI filter
AMS beadlocks
AC (I think) bumper and nerf bars
Pro Armour grab bar and tether
Start button mod

Here she is after I rode it home.

Here is the damage before I cleaned the journals up with valve lapping compound, look at the exhaust side and compare it to the intake.

I've already got some goodies to install. I'll get some more pics when I bring it back to the house!
don't know if I'd adone that with a cam I planed to re-use ,I definitely buff it till its smooth as glass . I do know some one that used a brake hone on the cam journals . at the time I thought it abit radical . its also possible to sand down the cap's to tighten up the fit . its also a good way to screw thing up.

#9 ·
I measured the cam to journal clearances, its in spec so it should be good to use.

#11 ·
that's just down right mean

#14 · (Edited)
So Saturday I put a new steering stem in, installed the GPR stabilizer, Flexx handlebars, Moose poly case saver, 8" ITP beadlocks and 18" holeshots in the rear, replaced the spark plug cap, and scrubbed the crap left over from the graphics off the rear plastics (lots of Goof-Off and elbow grease... and a chisel). I planned on using the stock anti-vibe stem that the ltr came with (as an 08) but when I pulled it off it looked real bent so good thing my GPR came with a custom stem. If the battery for the micrometer would have came I would have got the valves adjusted.

On my list to order (for now):

Clutch perch w/ lever
Graphics for the rear fenders and front plastics (no fenders)
Outerwarez filter cover

The do list:

Adjust the valves
Fix the drain plug
Wire up the tether
Fill it up with oil
Give her a nice bath once the weather warms up some more

#15 ·
Good luck!

I wish my ltr was running. I took my engine apart. My rod seized up where it connects to the crank and my cylinder has some burn marks on the lower part of cylinder. Need to send my engine off and have it rebuilt.

Had plenty of oil in the engine, I think dirt got in the oil somehow and or the oil pump is effed.

#17 ·
Another set back. My intake valves are done for, so I'm gonna put in some SS Kibblewhites. But I did get the plastics cleaned up, after lots of goo remover. I really hope this is the last problem I have to deal with.

#22 ·
Ordered up some intake valves, ordering gaskets tomorrow and hopefully everything comes by this weekend so I can get it running. If it all goes together well I still get to fix the drain bolt and wire my tether so I can finally do some braaping.

#23 ·
Nice ltr grath. Nice to see you back on the right brand. I will have me another Suzuki some time in the next 3 years hopefully. Sure do miss my ltr.

#24 ·
Thanks! Other than the drain plug issue and having to put some new valves in, the chassis is in fantastic shape given it is an 08. I'm sending off the head to get the seats cut and then I should be able to have it together by next weekend if the machinist doesn't put it off (he's local). Once the head is on and the leaky drain bolt is fixed I should be braapin.

#26 ·
I had to helicoil my drain plug. Then I went to my work and got a rubber coated washer that we use for sealing lines coming off the injection pumps. Didn't leak anymore.

#27 ·
Was it one of the case drain bolts?

Time to move over to the LTR forum...See you there! I also had a LTZ but made the switch last year. It's fun coming back to the "Central" just to see what everyone is up to. Good luck with your build and GO Wisconsin Badgers basketball!!!!!
I like this forum a lot more and we have more than a few active members on 450's, but I still go over to hq and see what's up.

#28 ·
Oh no. Mine was the oil reservoir. Is the bolt hole stripped or is it just leaking? Cause that is a 6 mm bolt and I believe the bolt you have to loosen to prime the fuel system on a 7200 or 8900 series tractor should have a washer that will fit it.

#29 ·
The threads are a little messed up it just leaks. My brother is gonna deal with it for me on Monday, the washers on the bolts are there and everything but it leaks. The bolt will thread in, but it leaks.

#30 ·
Head is getting sent to Chuck tomorrow. Should hopefully have it back by next weekend if I'm lucky. Getting some fresh seat cuts yo!

#31 ·
OK well I've had it running for a while now, I gatta fix my computer so I can post some pics. Lol

#32 ·
Here's all the pics I was waiting to upload, my computer was a little out of commission for a while. The ltr sat like this for a while too.

Scrubbed the engine with a brush and some parts cleaner.

Also scrubbed down and cleaned the chassis.

Got some goodies

Reunited

Modified the airbox

Took me all day to get it put together and luckily got it together before sunset that day and took it for rip.

Here's a couple more shots of it.

Here is how it sits today! Changed a few things since I first got it together.

Be ready for more too.

#33 ·
This wasn't a big build, basically me giving it some life. I put new valves in it, made sure everything was safe and sound. Cleaned the hell outta it and slapped it back together with a few things my way added. I did managed to pick up another ltr chassis, so stay tuned I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.