Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yamaha brought back the old style YFZ450 (carbureted model) for 2012, revising it with a 42mm mikuni carb (to get rid of needing the zip tie in the FCR), newer camshaft profiles for more low end to mid range power while still keeping the same top end power it previously had (also changing up cam timing to ship it from the factory with the "cam mod", and smoother, better riding shocks. But the real kicker... It's priced about $400 less than a new Z400 at a whopping $6,799! This will definitely add some more competition in the 400 class of machines.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Post a link!!

·
Registered
589 Posts
looks good for that price point

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looks good for that price point
Looks like it will be a real game changer in the 400 class of machines.. Suzuki and Honda are going to have to step up their game a bit

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no contest....it doesn't have reverse!
True!.. but it's lighter than the Z, and also has better ergo's which in a way makes up for it. I've found that it's not really the wight of the machine which makes it a pain in the ass to pull it out of a bad spot, it's the bulkiness of it.

·
Administrator
12,453 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
No reverse, stock shocks are pogo's! Looks like they cut a few corners to bring the price to where it is. Still a yamaha....

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I thought so. And the raptor 700's do as well. I'm ready to see what yamaha is going to do with those next.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No reverse, stock shocks are pogo's! Looks like they cut a few corners to bring the price to where it is. Still a yamaha....
Yeah, they tried to make the best shocks they could as pogo's (so they could save money, offering the quad at the price that it is) "Yamaha replaced the previous model piggyback front shocks with a pair of high quality, non-reservoir shocks made by KYB that are tuned exclusively for the YFZ, and designed to excel at handling a wide variety of riding situations (for those of you who were instantly aghast upon reading the words “non-reservoir”, keep reading – we got a chance to test these shocks and we were very impressed!)." - atv.com
Even though they did put the pogo's on there, all the YFZ's have interchangeable shocks, so if you want you can buy a used set off ebay and they'll be a direct bolt on upgrade

I thought so. And the raptor 700's do as well. I'm ready to see what yamaha is going to do with those next.
Raptor 700 is definitely ready for an upgrade.. it's been out longer than the 660 has been, and they really haven't changed anything about it.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Looks sick! But IMO you cant put a 450 and a 400 in the same "class". I have a feeling Suzuki will end up doing the same thing when they do bring the LTR back (make it carbed).

On a side note...atv4life...you have a problem. your a junkie...a yamaha junkie. please go get your fix and buy a YFZ!:blah:

As you were......

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Not bagging on him or anyone else. The YFZs are nice. Im just sayin...he needs to get rid of the Z and get a YFZ.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not bagging on him or anyone else. The YFZs are nice. Im just sayin...he needs to get rid of the Z and get a YFZ.
I completely agree.. I do need a YFZ! But, the cheapest YFZ you can get would be a 2004 that probably has taken a real beating over the course of it's life and it costs about $2,700 - $3k.. Where as the Z, I paid $1,600 for. And sure, the Z needed a good bit of fixing up (still in the process of doing it), but it's the better choice for me since i'm only 16 years old and don't have a job yet lol

·
Registered
433 Posts
I think the whole rappy and Yfz design needs a nice little swich a roo. i'm really sick or the way they look, my fav 450 has to be the kfx 450 tho

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think the whole rappy and Yfz design needs a nice little swich a roo. i'm really sick or the way they look, my fav 450 has to be the kfx 450 tho
Now see that's what I don't get lol. I was always taught (AND with experience) to avoid kawasaki at all costs, and that Honda was always the way to go. I really just chose the ltz400 over the 400ex because it looked better in my opinion :p

1 - 20 of 49 Posts