Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to help out the '04 model

I only have about 30hrs on mine. I have added PRM skids/bumper.Turning Lights. Yoshi slip-on, Jetted and modded airbox. It's been on tough trails, dunes, and cinders. Runs great, glad I bought it. No quad is perfect, but the Z is exactly what I was waiting for. This is just a list of things I would change If I could (some can be shortly).

Headlights (pattern and brightness) = headlights look cool but are not very usefull at night. Pattern is too horizontally narrow for high speed duning on both settings and light color is too yellow -coat the bulbs.

Stator= not up to the task or running 2 50watt bulbs in place of the stockers with a lighted whip and fan running. Needs another 20watts or so.

Rear Axle (mines still good) = stronger

rear brake light switch/spring = what were they thinking?

Front rotor "rock shields" = too flimsy - will bend at the slightest touch.

Seat release/lock = release should be bent further outboard and seat should snap in place more easily

Clutch lever= too much verticle play- needs bushings or smaller capture -rattles in rough trails.

Body "rivets"= not likely to last 10 years - need better rivet

Rear grab bar= should be replacable-bolt on- not welded

Lower radiator hose= more protection

What else? What could be changed to make it run, function, look better?

·
Registered
142 Posts
stock suspension- all quads! Short rear swingarm. Chain adjustment. Probably that spark plug drain thing. No steering dampers out for it yet, how long does it take????? Rear grab bar is to high to have any leverage left for lifting the quad off the ground, feels 100lbs. heavier to lift than my r from back there.

·
Registered
100 Posts
imac....
What spark plug drain thing????

Thanx,
LOBE
~~~~~

·
Registered
142 Posts
seen other post on here saying if it clogs and you get into mud/water the engine wont run right,miss,something. All I know for sure is the plug looks burried deep inside the head so its probably true i guess.

·
Registered
221 Posts
is that that little "screw" with the allen head that is right above the pipe?

dave

·
Registered
142 Posts
no when you wash it and run some water up on the top of the engine you can see water come out of a hole on the "drivers side" of the engine about half way up. It definatly is a deep hole the spark plug is in and should be washed out thourouly before romoving plug or dirt will fall into the engine for sure. If you take the spark plug cap off first you will get more water in there to flush it out good. I would reinstall cap and run engine to heat it up and dry all the water out first before taking plug out also.

·
Registered
221 Posts
can you post pics? if you know what I am talking about, what it that little cap/screw deal?

dave

·
Registered
221 Posts
this is what i am talking about. i want to see what this drain is. sounds like a good idea. PLease post pics.
Hope this pic works

dave

·
Registered
221 Posts
Darn, how do i get pics, i will try something else.

dave

·
Registered
142 Posts
if your talking about the screw on the "passenger side" My guess is that is something to do with vavle timming / adjustment maybe because the top of the head has two of them about the same size. I would atleast hope that its easy to adjust valves on this engine, I see no covers similar to any honda ive ever worked on. ill try and do a pic.

·
Registered
221 Posts
yea, i think that is it, it is right below those two rubber covers where it covers the cams. i have a pic, i will try to get it up.

·
Registered
221 Posts
yea, i think that is it, it is right below those two rubber covers where it covers the cams. i have a pic, i will try to get it up.

dave

·
Registered
142 Posts
put up your email and i can send a pic but cant seem to post one here.

·
Registered
221 Posts
nevermind, i think i see it in a pic in ATV Action. it is sorta in the "second half" of the cylender. little tiny hole. makes some sense to me, but if it get cloged, then it could be a pain. sorry for so many posts.

dave

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah, I'd like to see a pic also :)

THANX

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is it just a hole??
Or a plug w/ a allen???

Do you have to clean it out???

Send pics if you have any to [email protected]

Thanx

·
Registered
142 Posts
just a hole. Dont take the plug out!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I did some hard trail riding this Sunday mostly hills and LOTS of rocks. There were two other sport quads out there with me along with 5 utility quads and the Z held its own. I was getting tossed around big time along with bottoming out because of the 20" tires on the rear. I bent my swingarm skid on a huge rock on the chain side but no damage to my sprocket.

I had a piston key chain on my key and I guess it was to heavy for the ignition because whenever I would get thrown to the side it would pull the key to the off position which was really annoying. (piston was about 1"and 1/2) My point being that the ignition is almost to easy to turn. Another thing that bothers me about the controls is the choke, I got bounced around again and hit the choke down causing the bike to stall a few times. At first I had no idea what was going on because I have a post about my Z dying on me a while ago but that problem just went away, was just a one time deal. Besides those two little things I am VERY happy with my Z and think I made the right choice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How does the Z do on hills? For example, I've got a 400ex and a Banshee and the 400ex has a bad habit of getting really front end light when climbing anything but small hills; the shee definatley doesn't (weight and motor placement help there) - how would you say the Z does? I'm highly considering getting one..

Thankx all!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts