Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up. . .
so i bought and received the 13T front sproket and was bored before so i thought id slap it in. i loosened the chain from the rear of the spring arm, took off the case, unbolted the sproket with the 2 bolts. put the new sprocket on and started to tighten the 2 bolts again. well it figures that i broke one of the bolts. it sucks. the bolt is about 5/8" long and it has a little sleeve at the top, sound familiar? well i went to the suzuki dealer and they have to order the bolts figures again right ($4 each!). they wont be here until next thursday and im supposed to go riding on sunday with a bunch of people. so they found 2 more bolts that can fit the threads, about 3/8" long without the sleeve so the head of the bolt would rest on the "lock washer" thing that holds the sprocket in.

finally heres the question. do you think that the shorter bolts without the sleeves will work ok until thursday? and do you have any idea what those sleeves are for? why they didnt just use smaller bolts?

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Yes, it would work fine. It does not take much to hold it on.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Should work fine. It's only holding the splined part to the sprocket. There shouldn't be really any pressure on it...it would probably work permanently if you wanted to leave it and save the $4. But $4 isn't too much to have the right part either.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
should be fine, just check it every once in a while when ya'll stop, and be sure you put the right tool in your tool kit incase it starts coming loose

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool thanks guys, im gonna go ahead and put it back on tomorrow. but when the new bolts come ill just switch them back.

did you guys notice any accelaration differences with the 13T?

A

·
0 Posts
Yes, it would work fine. It does not take much to hold it on.[/b]
I agree....go riding man. And tell them to keep thier bolts too! Don't take much at all to hold it on.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so when i put it all back together i figured out why those bolts have the sleeves. the chain links come real close to the bolt holes. the sleeves are so the bolt can have a "good" size head on it. lukily the bolts i got to replace them are just small enough for the chain to pass around them.

it made a huge difference too! much snappier from a stand still. im going riding tomorrow (sunday) ill let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
931 Posts
did you have to adjust your chain to put the 13 on I am thinking going that way

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
to get it off easier i loosened the chain as much as i could, then i re-adjusted it. so im guessing probably

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Make sure the bolts are not sticking thru the back of the sprocket and rubbing or hitting anything behind the sprocket. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
did you have to adjust your chain to put the 13 on I am thinking going that way[/b]
You may have to adjust it....But it could be possible not to. Just check the slack in your chain. It's supposed to be betwee 1.2 - 1.6 inches according to the service manual...I'm pretty sure...someone correct me if it's not.

But just check it..if it's w/in the guidlines set by the manual....then leave it. I didn't loosen my chain at all to take it off...I just slid the whole sprocket off w/the chain still on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts