Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so my kfx400 was sitting a while so we had to remove carb and clean. Get everything back together and it seems like hehe throttle is sticking somewhere or something. I can just pull and wiggle the cable and it revs up real high and it has to be in a specific spot to sound normal. I checked all down to make sure it wasnt binding or stuck anywhere.. Could it just be frayed or stretched inside? All was fine before it sat, maybe we stretched it while pulling the carb out? Is there only one way the cable can go back into the carb? Or could it be on wrong?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK ya, when I pull the cable towards the rear it is binding up, and if I quickly release the thumb, sometimes it goes to idle how it should. If I let of slow it takes longer or sticks to idle down. guessing its something inside cause it's not getting stuck anywhere

·
Super Moderator
3,452 Posts
Looks like your chasing it down. If a cable is pinched or tight it can do that, but sounds like you have ruled that out. They can dry out over time. Make sure your thumber isn't dirty, take the cable off and try it.

·
Super Moderator
4,679 Posts
Cable might be adjusted too tight. Loosen or disconnect it and start it up.
If that isn’t it, the slide may be sticking, holding the needle up or the needle is on the wrong clip (not sure if you have stock or aftermarket needle).
There is a little o-ring next to the diaphragm for the slide that often falls out of gets misplaced when cleaning. Make sure it’s still there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's just stock.. I didn't see an o ring fall out when we took it apart. A buddy put most of it back together cause I didn't know how the throttle went exactly and he's done others before.
But I did just notice the cable catching a metal clip from another hose, I moved it out the way but feels like it may have frayed it as the throttle isnt as smooth now. And when I flick the throttle it'll go to normal idle but if I just let off it'll stay revved some.

Also where the cable goes to the carb end, is that just supposed to tightened down towards the carb or is it an adjuster?

I was gonna check at the thumb too but I don't think those screws have been moved since 05 and they felt like the heads were gonna strip super easy

·
Super Moderator
4,679 Posts
You’ll have to disconnect the cable from the carb to isolate the problem, as mentioned. When it’s disconnected, use a screwdriver, pliers, etc to rev the engine and see if it returns normally. If it does, then it’s not inside the carb and it’s a cable problem.

Reactions: John Meloy
1 - 7 of 7 Posts