Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so here's my deal, i need to replace the tie rod end, got it on stands, wheels off and all the castle nuts off, could not get the ends even budged, thought if i took tension(? yeh i know...:confused:) off it by taking the rod off and putting the castle nut back on and trying to whack it out but i couldnt get it still, please help, this is really stumping me, which normally doesnt happen much on the old 400....any help would be appreciated, this is my to and fro work ride for the moment so kinda sucks not having it ready to go...

·
Registered
145 Posts
You probably have tried this but, Have you tried to put something on it like wd-40? That might help

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Are you trying to get it out of the knuckle? If you're replacing the end, you could use a pickle fork. If you don't have one, whack the knuckle w a hammer on the side of where the joint goes through.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I think i just hitted the top of the tie rod end with an hammer and it came out
not sure it has been a long time

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so I've tried pounding the end, no luck, not even a budge.. where else could I try? And asking help for the one on stem..tried to post some pics but I can't figure it out..

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Do the second half of what biggie said. Hammer the side of the knuckle where the end goes through. Use a 3+lb sledge hammer, no mallets or dead blows. The shock or vibration of the impact breaks it loose. The same can be done on the inner rod ends also.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Unless someone installed a 05+ end on your knuckle...if thats the case may be next to impossible to get out...what I normally do is grab the Tierod and pull up while hitting knuckle ear where the end goes through with hammer (plastic or metal, rubber won't give enough shock) and they pop right out same with balljoints

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I use one of these things. Its a ball joint seperator and it works great. I think it cost me 20 bux at canadian tire or princess auto in canada. Hope you can find one because they make the job effortless and safe. Either way good luck

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Not pressed in

Like biggie said earlier if I can't get it with me pulling up and tapping it with a hammer slightly then I'll use the pickle fork

Always works but sometimes they pinch the boot but since your replacing you'd be fine

They are a cheap tool avalible at any auto parts store

·
Registered
533 Posts
And BTW this is a stock 06 z400 owned it since new so there factory parts coming off....
Then a couple good solid hits they'll come out don't be afraid realy hit it once or twice.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
when you put the new tie rod back on try to count the number of threads to alighn it the same as it was before.

When the new ones goes back in they will slide down as far as it can into the knuckle (its a tight tapered fit and thats why its hard to remove as its pinched into the knuckle)

maybe tap the top just to wedge it in alittle to hold the ball from spinning. Just alittle so you can turn the nut an the joint/ball wont turn. when you put the nut on and tighten it, then the tie rod will seat itself. I hope it works out for you.

ps a pickle fork looks like the top portion of the tool i posted above. Its well, a FORK .... see below

I do also agree with the posters above, the fastest no need tools method would be the dead blow with two hammers on either side of the joint -hammer pop an done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok I got two brand new tie rod ends for my 05 z400. I did not get any instructions, so my problem is are they side specific? And doesn't make a difference how I put them together?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Ok I got two brand new tie rod ends for my 05 z400. I did not get any instructions, so my problem is are they side specific? And doesn't make a difference how I put them together?
The threads are different for the inners than the outers. One is left hand thread and the other is right. Thats so they can be adjusted for alignment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts