Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i have a 2003 suzuki ltz400 that i just put a new timing chain in. When i went to start it it backfired and would not start. It has a new battery, starter, timing chain, k&n air filter, brand new spark plug, and fresh oil. When we retimed it we did 14 links between the marks and its now starting just backfiring. Ive looked around and ive found 13 links between 14 and 15 and im not sure at this point. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,992 Posts
Make sure you’re lining up the line next to the T (not the actual T) centered in the window. Then drop in the exhaust cam in the correct sprocket position while removing timing chain slack from the font side of the exhaust cam sprocket. Next, do the same with the intake cam, keep the chain taught from exhaust cam to intake cam, then install tensioner. When you’re done, rotate the crank twice by hand back to TDC and make sure nothing moved. Your cam lobes on the opposite end of the cams should be pointing at 10 and 2 o’clock. It will look obviously wrong if one or both are off a tooth.
The whole “14 links” or “15 pins” is confusing. Always turn the engine by hand. It will tell you if you’re wrong by locking up, but you haven’t turned it over fast enough to do any damage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make sure you’re lining up the line next to the T (not the actual T) centered in the window. Then drop in the exhaust cam in the correct sprocket position while removing timing chain slack from the font side of the exhaust cam sprocket. Next, do the same with the intake cam, keep the chain taught from exhaust cam to intake cam, then install tensioner. When you’re done, rotate the crank twice by hand back to TDC and make sure nothing moved. Your cam lobes on the opposite end of the cams should be pointing at 10 and 2 o’clock. It will look obviously wrong if one or both are off a tooth.
The whole “14 links” or “15 pins” is confusing. Always turn the engine by hand. It will tell you if you’re wrong by locking up, but you haven’t turned it over fast enough to do any damage.
So we put it back together with 15 links in between the arrows and when we went to start it it sputtered a little but didn’t start. We poured a bit of gas down the spark plug hole and still no start so we checked spark and it had a really strong spark so im lost at this point.

·
Super Moderator
4,992 Posts
Take a pic of your cam sprockets and the lobes at TDC, if you can. We should be able to tell if it’s a timing problem or not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Take a pic of your cam sprockets and the lobes at TDC, if you can. We should be able to tell if it’s a timing problem or not.
Well i pull started it to see if it would start and it did it ran a bit rough at first but cleared up after a quick loop around the yard i only ran it for around 15 minutes and then parked it to check fluids but before i did that i restarted it just to check and it seemed normal i will try to start it again tomorrow when the engine is cold again and i will send pics if it doesn’t. Thanks for the help its greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
4,992 Posts
No problem. It wouldn’t have run that long if it was out of time, so no need for pics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts