Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
08 ltz 400
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced the timing chain on my Z. Now before I did this it started up perfectly fine and ran fine. The timing chain was really noisy in the adjuster was maxed out so I check the chain and it was very loose So I replaced the chain and the guides reinstalled everything double-checked everything My timing is dead on and my valve clearances are almost perfect both exhaust are 0.23 MM and one intake is .15mm the other is .13mm. I have triple check the clearances and the timing I put it back together with a fully charged battery and a new spark plug at the proper gap and it will not start. I have verified I have spark I have verified I have fuel So I put a compression tester on it and I'm getting 30 PSI!! I'm not sure what PSI I started with Before I took it apart to replace the timing chain but I have a good feeling that at 30 PSI it would not have fired up effortlessly like it used to. After looking on this forum I check the auto decompression on the exhaust cam that seems to be in working order doesn't appear stuck and moves freely. What would be the best way to go about to check to see if my valves are stuck open? I poured a little oil in the plug hole and it jumped from 30 to 60. I know that means the rings are bad but could it be another reason? How does the four-wheeler go from running flawlessly to the rings being messed up sitting in my garage for one day while I put the timing chain on? At there's anything I'm missing or overlooking or any advice and help I could get would be greatly appreciated before I tear anything apart and start spending my money. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,878 Posts
You can pull the header and carb boot, then pour a capful of gas into the valve area. If it stays, they are seating. If it disappears quickly, that’s your leaky valve.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts