Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still new to this site.. only Second time on here and love it.. I currently got a ltz400 complely stock beside a slip on hmf exhaust. I installed a athena 440(434) BBK. A new d.i.d silent cam chain.mcct, And hmf header pipe.stage 1 hot cams on the way. I double and triple checked every thing on the disassemble and I reassembled it. Piston rings looked great at the install. Did a oil change and coolant change as I had to flush it to do the upgrade. Timing was dead on and valve clearances were in spec. I took it out for the breaking on the new piston. Let warm up for 10 mins. And then started the break in process. Accel and decell. About 6 times. On the 7th pass it died and would not start. Took it home tore it apart and noticed the timing jumped 2 teeth on both intake and exhaust. Retimed it and she fired right up. Also I'm getting some loud popping on the deceleration everytime I let go of the throttle. Any advice and Input is much appreciated.. thank you..

·
Super Moderator
4,872 Posts
If timing jumped, then either the timing chain guides aren’t installed right or your tensioner is dead. Need to check those, especially the bottom of the guides.
Occasionally popping on decel isn’t something I’d worry about, but if it’s doing it a lot, I would say it’s a jetting problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate it my friend. My acc. Was shot. The spring was toast so I installed a manual tensioner. I am about to install hot cams next week I'll double check the guides when I do that. I won't be starting it up until I do. Another thing can I tip the quad on its side so I don't have to drain the oil and coolant agian? Not to sure about the suzuki but I know a couple I have worked on you can do that when when removing the clutch cover.

·
Super Moderator
4,872 Posts
Yes, you can.

Reactions: Sidingking

·
Registered
189 Posts
I use to ride with a MCCT and I found myself over doing it and stretching the chains alot quicker. So I went back with a Modified ACCT from Advantage Cycles.

The popping on decel is usually a sign of lean conditions on the pilot jet. I was running a stock bsr36 with a 32.5 pilot and 145 main 3rd clip on the needle and 2.25 turns on the fuel screw. I have about the same setup as you.

I have now switched to a FCR.

Reactions: julietjosy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I love this thing. I never really worked on the or did any mods this recently. I always just rode and hade shops fix them. But things are getting crazy with labor prices these days. When you can youbue it and learn your self . Most of it is simple and just time consuming. My .ain problem. Is being able to diagnose it. Grr. But this forum has helped me out. The valves and messing around with the carb is something I have not done myself yet. I do have a dyno jet kit . But I thank you for all your input and advise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts