Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
QUOTE (joshz400_03 @ Jul 27 2009, 01:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=753438
drz and z have the same carbs just drz 400 has a pull choke[/b]

I am trying to get my quad to idle properly, and on my quest it seems I found my TPS is not working.

I measured for resistance between the pins in the connector and I get nothing between any of them. The stock setting is like 3-6 ohms resistance, no matter which ones I connect I get nothing.

Does the TPS affect idle? I did a search here and didn't find much on the tps? A new one is 100 form a dealer, and I am not wanting to spend the money if it's not going to fix my idle. Aside from the idle the quad seems to run fine.

Thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (NormalZ @ Jul 27 2009, 05:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=753458
You measuring the pins on the wiring harness side of the connector, or on the TPS itself? Connector disconnected (unplugged), right?[/b]

I am measuring the pins on the TPS side, the side that is connected to the carb. That is how the manual says to adjust the tps.

The carb is off the bike, no matter how I rotate the tps on the carb there is no reading at all. The meter is working, if i touch it to any piece of metal such as the shifter it gives a resistance reading.

·
Premium Member
10,396 Posts
Excellent work, man. Yep, that sensor is shot.

You don't need it. It gives a small amount of spark advanve at higher revs, but that's all it does. There's no amount of feedback it gives back to the CDI that would cause your quad to shut down if it wasn't connected. THink of it this way - everybody that swaps the FCR carb onto their machine doesn't connect it, either.

The only way the TPS can affect idle is if it's giving an "open" reading back to the CDI, when in fact the throttle is closed. Example: You know the throttle is closed, and it's running at idle, but the faulty TPS is telling the CDI it's at half throttle, or WOT. That's the only way it will have an effect on the idle. If you unplug it completely, see if it'll idle then - when the TPS is giving no signal back to the CDI. If unplugging it completely doesn't work, then your idle problem isn't the electrical issue caused by that faulty TPS...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (NormalZ @ Jul 27 2009, 05:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=753463
Excellent work, man. Yep, that sensor is shot.

You don't need it. It gives a small amount of spark advanve at higher revs, but that's all it does. There's no amount of feedback it gives back to the CDI that would cause your quad to shut down if it wasn't connected. THink of it this way - everybody that swaps the FCR carb onto their machine doesn't connect it, either.

The only way the TPS can affect idle is if it's giving an "open" reading back to the CDI, when in fact the throttle is closed. Example: You know the throttle is closed, and it's running at idle, but the faulty TPS is telling the CDI it's at half throttle, or WOT. That's the only way it will have an effect on the idle. If you unplug it completely, see if it'll idle then - when the TPS is giving no signal back to the CDI. If unplugging it completely doesn't work, then your idle problem isn't the electrical issue caused by that faulty TPS...[/b]

Ok, thanks for the reply, I'll unplug it and see how it goes.

I'm ordering the extended fuel screw from Kientech today, and will try to set the screw with the high idle like in the other thread. Maybe that is my problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (NormalZ @ Jul 27 2009, 05:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=753463

Ok, thanks for the reply, I'll unplug it and see how it goes.

I'm ordering the extended fuel screw from Kientech today, and will try to set the screw with the high idle like in the other thread. Maybe that is my problem.
What happened? I just bought a quad that idles fine but will not and die if you try and give it more than half throttle. I realized today there is no TPS on it at all and the someone put a push pull choke in one the the screw hole for the TPS.. any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
3,961 Posts
What happened? I just bought a quad that idles fine but will not and die if you try and give it more than half throttle. I realized today there is no TPS on it at all and the someone put a push pull choke in one the the screw hole for the TPS.. any help would be greatly appreciated.
This thread is from 2009, don't hold your breath waiting for a response. try to richen the fuel screw, that usually lets them take throttle,

Reactions: Calbaugh23
1 - 9 of 9 Posts