Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know K & N makes a great filter.. However, So does Uni Filter. The Uni for the Z will fit the stock Z intake setup. I have just added the PC T4 with a Uni and some 1" vented holes in the lid of the airbox. Snorkle was removed as well. I ride in mud and water and still feel this is a very safe alt. to removing your lid. The only place to really get water in the box in through the snorkle hole and that is way at the top of the box.. As long as your not riding in water up to your seat you'll be fine. I think this is a great alt. to those who want to keep their air box lid... I might the fitment is great and as stable as the stock setup.. No drilling, hole cutting, or expensive adapter, and better protection with a foam filter.
Jetting for those interested will be
150 Main
25 pilot
3 turns out on the air/fuel
3rd needle clip on Alba needle.

Right now I have the bike running perfect (Spark plug color wise) at
152.5 main
Stock pilot
3 turns out
Stock needle with a small washer for space (just one)
However, even though my plug check tells me shes running just right
My gut tells me there is more power to be had with a new needle
and a larger pilot jet.. Maybe not so much power as better response.

I hope this helps anyone who is interested in gaining some great power and still staying safe airbox wise. This setup may not drain every last Horsepower out of my machine but for literally 40% of the cost of these Higher end racing pipes you will get really close, and have a very safe power increase. I'm not flaming anyone here.. I'm tring to offer a different perspective to others. I ride mostly trails, with sand, rock, hard pack, and a little of everything really. I love to hill climb ect. So for me this is what I feel a really great setup. This is a very bottom end power add. Your toque will increase alot more than your top end.. I'm sure there are better MX setups than this, but I think anyone who does everyday riding will enjoy this setup alot..

T4 - $160 shipped - Ebay
UNi - $25 shipped
Air box vents -$6 rockymountain
Jet kIt - $27 alba action

Hope this helps.. Zeeper :wink:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey thanks zeeper. I am not a big fan of K&N filters either especially if you ride in real dusty or wet conditions. I like the Uni and No Toil filters the best, as they provide a little protection from water entry.
I also like you cheap mods, I may cut my lid and put the little vents in it. I am still considering a pipe, I like the MBRP best so far. But really like the sound of my hacked out pea shooter, especially the sound of money still in my pocket.
Does the Uni use the stock filter frame or bracket?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mud - The Uni mounts exactly like the stock filter...You just replace it with the Uni. You have the frame with a screw that bolts it down..I cant reall see benefiting from an adapter that much.. Maybe there is something I dont know about these adaptors, but a UNI is a UNI and I dont understand why the huge expense.. Feel free to enlighten me on any differences.

archerr - I put 5 in. I could have squeezed in 6 but I think 5 is sufficient.
Again i ride in alot of dust and sand and really was trying to open air flow and still be safe..

·
Registered
147 Posts
UNI

The adapter provides a more secure way to attach the filter. With the adapter, the filter clamps on and always provides a good seal. The stock is not as good of a seal and harder to install.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slipknot.. I dont know if you have seen the stock set-up but there is nothing wrong with it at all. It is secured with a screw/clamp.. The stock setup is very effective to be in stock form. I'm far from worried that stock seal isn't worthy. I can agree that the adapter may better the seal, but I dont believe it is absolutly necessary. Maybe a MX guy would need one with all the jumping ect. but as a trail rider it's hardly needed.. I'm simply offering another perspective on the subject. I'm not saying it is the best setup for everyone.. I just think It is an efficent way of helping the bike to breath a little better, stay safe, and cost effective. It works the same way with cars. A drop in K&N will still help gas efficiency, and increase horsepower. NOt as much as Cold air induction, but then a drop in K&N will pass inspection where as most CAI will not. So there is a trade off for anything you do... want a better seal spend 3X the amount.. thats your call..
Not trying to flame or anything.. you brought up a good point

·
Registered
147 Posts
I see what you are saying. The stock seal worked fine for me, but I wanted the assurance of a better seal for how I ride. It also makes it a little easier to install. That is a very good low price alternative to the entire clamp. I would have done that myself if I only rode trails. BTW-No flame intended, just giving my reasons as to why I bought the intake/filter.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I currently have the stock air filter setup in my Z, but am looking at the UNI for replacement. Could someone please explain to me the benefit of the UNI foam filter over the stock? And once I get the UNI I plan to use the 5-6 air vents on the top of the airbox lid. In addition, before summer, I'm going to be putting the Alba slip-on pipe on my Z. Simply looking for more HP.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ltzrunner - The Uni filter will breath mucho better than the stock paper filter.. With the drilled holes at the top and a slip on you'll have the same setup as myself for the most part.. I think it is a great trail setup.. It will give you alot of torque, and your throttle response is alot better.. It nice because to me my gears feel taller.. As in my first gear doesn't rev so high to go the same speed if that makes any sense to you. I'm very pleased with my setup.. If you want to keep your low end power I think this is a great way to go. If you are looking for lots of top-end go with a full pipe and rip off the lid.. I think you'll be very satisfied with the difference. It really gives you an idea of what the bike is capable of.. Hope that helps..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Zeeper. Did you change your jetting also? And do you think the setup is good for the dunes?

·
Registered
717 Posts
THe K&N would be a better filter for the dunes foam filters are more for really dusty trails. The K&N apparently can filter the fine dust but there is no need for a foam filter in the dunes

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LTZ- It kinda depends really on how much money you want to spend..in regards to will this setup do well in the dunes.. Dex is right about the K&N for the dunes, it is suppose to outflow the UNI and give better protection in Sandy enviorments. If you have the money, I would say get the full system for the dunes. You'll want every bit of Horsepower you can get out there. There is alot of dragging in the dunes from my understanding and you'll want that additional topend. However the slip-on set up will be much better than stock.. So really I think it depends on how much money you would like to spend. Yes I changed my jetting.
I bought a jet kit from alba which I will reccommend you do for either setup.
They give you a new needle that is adjustable(stock is not for the most part)
I'm going to a 150 main
25 poilot
3 turns out on the air/fuel setup
That is what they will send you with your Alba slip on..
I trust that they have dyno timed this setup as the best one.. or close to the best one.(jetting wise)
So only you can answer what you really need. I'm just tring to give you as much feedback on the reasearch that I have done. It really sounds like you should go with the YOSHI, Trinity, CT in no particular order. They all seem like great pipes. I really think Trininty offers a nice pipe/filter setup off ebay for around $450-$500. You'll be set to go...
Or you can spend half that and get the setup that I have.. It's your call really..Hope that helps

Dex - I'm not sure about the UNI VS Twin .. I would be lieing If I said one was better than the other. I have heard some really great things about the UNI however..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Zeeper....thanks so much for the great info, it really helps. I'm just trying to live up to the sticker I put on the front under the handlebars which reads..."LUNATIC BEHIND BARS".

Oh yeah, thanks to you too Dex!!

A

·
0 Posts
In regard ot the UNI filter that fits the Z400 ...... what is the item number, model number or whatever you need to ask for from a dealer that sells UNI filters. Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
439 Posts
The Uni Filters part # is NU-2483ST
The Alba Jet Kits part # is LTZ-JKIT
I don't know the airvent's # though.Seems like a god idea to me.

By the way. What is the part # on the airvents? I've been looking for something like that and couldn't find it on their website.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts