Suzuki Central Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I’m new here,
So I recently purchased a 2003 ltz400 and it ran fine when I got it. The guy who I bought it from said he’d never opened the motor for any reason so I decided to open her up and inspect. The cylinder and piston were pretty bad so I replaced them with standard size replacement. I get it all back together and fire her up and she runs great. I do the break in process and go for my first test ride. I run it for about 20 min and she dies. I get it back home and pull it apart to find a bent intake valve. I also found that the actual retainer on top of the spring had broken where the valve goes through, allowing the keepers to pop out. So what happened? Did the retainer break first causing the contact? We’re the springs bad? Or floated valves?

·
Super Moderator
4,899 Posts
If that’s the only valve that is bent, I would say the keeper failed. But, it could have been a weak spring, bad valve guide, etc. Either way, it’s all suspect now. If it is all stock, it’s 17 years old now. I expect the springs are tired and you’ll have to check the guide, cam, piston, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Fortunately I am having a top end kit installed so I shouldn’t have to worry about it happening again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts