Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since all the threads for the past couple months have said search I've decided to develop a thread for people to add to at times, that will tell these new guys what to do to go faster, and/or make power. These will be in the order of price vs. power and ease of doing it. Some of these things will have supporting mods to go with to achieve the full potential of that mod.

Quicker acceleration: 13T Front sprocket -or- Larger rear sprocket
(Lower top end)

More top speed: 15T Front sprocket -or- Smaller rear sprocket
(Higher top end)*

*Note: To get higher top end you also need the power to reach the rev limiter in 5th, if you are not hitting it, you shouldn't be upping the gearing!

To achieve the full potential of a stock Z there are a few things you can do. As the list gets bigger the mods get more expensive.

Basic Mods:

Take off air-box lid off
Re-jet carb accordingly***
400ex boot -or- other aftermarket intake boots
Full exhaust system****
FCR39/40/41*
Dyna CDI or other brands**

*Note: A FCR carb will more likely drain your fuel supply quicker, to meet that demand, a raptor 660 petcock will cure that problem.

**Note: A CDI that will increase your rev limit can damage a stock valve train. Please do supporting mods if you will be pinning it on a stock valve train. I.E. Kibblewhite/Ferra valves with a spring kit.

***Note: Check out our jetting database instead of starting a new thread right away, we have loads of different set-ups and where they work at. You might need some slight changes but it should get you close! http://www.suzukicentral.com/forums/17-maintenance-repairs-tuning/32548-jetting-database.html

****Note: A full exhaust is much much better than a slip-on. Their is almost no power gain with a slip-on but merely an added 1/8 hp and the placebo effect with all that noise you are making.

Note: A clamp-on style air filter with an adapter will work much better and ensure no dirt gets around your air filter and into your engine. This should be also one of your earliest mods done to the quad.

Motor Mods! Things to do to your motor to get more power:

Single layer base gasket
Big Bore Kit
Cams*
Port + Polish**
Stroker Crank*
Titanium Valves
Lighten spinning parts

*Note: Clearances! Any time you are pushing the limit with motor modification (Stroker/Large Cams) make sure that valve to piston clearance is adequate otherwise you might be building a motor that will self destruct upon start-up.

**Note: Their has been much work done with a Z head that is covered in CFMZ-440's thread which shows port velocity vs. performance. Good read, check it out.
http://www.suzukicentral.com/forums/17-maintenance-repairs-tuning/88501-port-velocity-engine-performance.html
also
http://www.suzukicentral.com/forums/17-maintenance-repairs-tuning/92094-z-head-ported-outer-limits.html

Note: A very build motor may/will not be able to use a stock clutch, it simply cannot transfer that power effectively, an aftermarket clutch or other modifications to the clutch can help transfer that power effectively and smoothly.

Their are a few things that many people overlook when asking this question of how can I go faster or I want more power:

Lose weight, get your ass to the gym, just because you have a built Z and you keep getting beat doesn't mean it's your quads fault. Your friend has a 100 lbs advantage on you!

Conditioning, can't keep up in the trails long enough? Well maybe your arms are getting tired and they just don't want to work anymore. Conditioning and physical exercise can help you stay out in the woods longer!

More traction/better tires, you can spin the tires but that doesn't help getting all that power to the ground. Good tread is critical to getting all of your above effort to the ground!

Suspension/handling, can't take those large rocks anymore, is it just messing up your ride and making you slow down? A proper suspension and bar set-up can help your riding with being able to hold on longer and take that rough trail faster!

When all else fails, and you're tired of modifying your Z:

BUY A 450!

If anyone has more to add feel free and mods please sticky so that when a new member asks or an existing member asks this question we have a thread to point to and all the existing threads don't continue in a thread continuum paradox with the answer being SEARCH!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hahahahahahaha your awesome tucker!!

·
Registered
470 Posts
This is gonna be a great write for people wanting more power on their z!!! I knew the buy a 450 part was coming..lol..any suggestion on clutches..i kind of need one lol..i search around but i guess barnett aunt making cf no more..

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
This is all I would add I think.

Step 1, suspension. Get your suspension set up appropriately for your riding style. (used shocks off here or gt thunder rebuild $150-your budget, a-arms $200-$500, and rear axle $125-?)

Step 2, minor power increase. Gearing ($10-$200), intake boot/air box (lid) removal ($free-200), full exhaust ($200-700), and/or re-jet carb/fcr carb ($50-$200).

Step 3, more power increase. Stroke it ($250), big bore ($320-800), head work($?), cams ($150-500), cdi ($150-380). If you are at this stage buying valve springs, new clutch, flywheel for your riding style shouldn't be of much concern money wise.

For all of the exhaust questions, although this is not (in my opinion) overly accurate peak power wise it will give you a good idea where a certain setup will yield you as far as power (rpm range) vs sound goes. Dirt Wheels

The reason why I posted my opinion on steps is to narrow down the "what should I do first" threads. My prices may be off but that should help people easily get an idea of cost they will spend.
Great job and initiative Tucker, that should cut down on a lot of spam!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've read on here many times that stickers are about 2hp apiece. I don't see that in this thread. Am I missing something. It seemed to work on my quad and it was way cheaper than a lot of the mods you suggested. Just thought I'd see if I could get a laugh. Nice write up guys. Very informative.

·
Super Moderator
5,886 Posts
Sticky this!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Nice write up Tuck, add a clamp on filter though. X's whatever on the sticky

·
Super Moderator
5,886 Posts

·