Suzuki Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know who does this type of thing? First, I assum the you need a TIG or heliarc welder. Anyone have pics of wheels with welded-on rings? Looking for a bullet-proof wheel.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The Pirates can.....but your in MD. Several of us are union pipefitters by trade and we weld all kinds of metal together.

If your talking about steel wheels and adding the rings yourself, you don;t need to heli-arc it. You can mig it or use a stick welder. Just need to tack the four corners down and then weld it out.

If it's aluminum, then you need a High Frequency machine to heli-arc aluminum.

Stockton Wheels does this type of work for vehicles, so they might do it for ATV wheels......if they can't they can send you into the right direction.

www.stocktonwheel.com

FWIW....why not buy them already installed????

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of the stock aluminum wheels...... But another post talked about the strength increase (at the lip, where all the damage usually takes place) by going to beadlocks.... ????

Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
230 Posts
if it's the stock aluminum ones, then they will need to be Heli Arc'd.

Personally, I think it would be cheaper to just buy them. I wouldn't because I like to make my own things, but if you don't have the access/experience then paying someone else for custom things gets quite expensive. Especially when there are a lot of cheaper alternatives....

·
Registered
540 Posts
the stock wheels are anodized and it has to be removed before welding if i remember correctly.. you can tig weld them i am told.. omf makes a good alternative... they put there rings on douglas wheels. think there 70 a piece.. add 100 to that for beadlocks. stock wheels are pretty hard to beat.. they are MUCH MUCH stronger than aftermarket aluminum wheels that dong have a rolled edge like the stockers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts